Port 25/587 and third-party email account
lucycat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like many who have posted notes about the Port change and third-party email accounts, I have read everything related to these changes and still cannot figure out how to adjust my settings so that I can send email from my third-party email account. In June, I switched to Verizon DSL from a cable service, which was very slow. "Slow" is now looking a lot more appealing than not being able to send email through my third-party account.

I have a Verizon email account, which I use with friends and family. I have another account that I have had for over ten years. I used the latter account as my only account for many years and that is the email address on my business cards. I will continue to use the third-party account as my business account, so hopefully someone can walk me through the change process so I don't need to switch providers.

I use Outlook for all my email. What do I need to change so that I can continue to use Verizon to send all my emails?

My POP3 settings include User Information (my name as it appears to recipients and my email address), Logon Information (user name and password), and Server Information (Incoming mail server [POP3] and Outgoing mail server [SMTP]).

What should appear in each of these so I can send email from my third-party account? Let's say my third-party email address is 12345@abc.net. User information is then my name and my email address (12345@abc.net). Logon information is then what? My abc.net user name and password? My verizon.net user name and password? Some combination of these? How about the Server information? Is my POP3 relay.abc.net or incoming.verizon.net? (I think it's the former for incoming.) Is my SMTP relay.abc.net on Port 587? Is it outgoing.verizon.net on Port 25? Something else?

I know this is long, but I have really tried to follow all the instructions Verizon gives and I still cannot send email from my abc.net account.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port 25/587 and third-party email account
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It really depends on whether your 3rd-party provider allows port 587 to be used. If they have a different alternate port you should be able to use that also. Verizon is *only* blocking port 25. Port 587 is just the default "other" SMTP port, so it's the alternate port for most providers, but not all. If you cannot get these settings to work, your other option is to set up Verizon for your outgoing server.

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up  your fictional account. Using "12345@abc.net" as the 3rd party address and "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: relay.abc.net (or whatever your 3rd party server is) - For this server you set up everything according to your domain's settings.

Reply Address12345@abc.net

Outgoing Server: outgoing.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes

Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 25 (although 587 also works.)

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the outgoing server name is: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Hope this helps. If you still have questions, please let me know.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It really depends on whether your 3rd-party provider allows port 587 to be used. If they have a different alternate port you should be able to use that also. Verizon is *only* blocking port 25. Port 587 is just the default "other" SMTP port, so it's the alternate port for most providers, but not all. If you cannot get these settings to work, your other option is to set up Verizon for your outgoing server.

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up  your fictional account. Using "12345@abc.net" as the 3rd party address and "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: relay.abc.net (or whatever your 3rd party server is) - For this server you set up everything according to your domain's settings.

Reply Address12345@abc.net

Outgoing Server: outgoing.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes

Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 25 (although 587 also works.)

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the outgoing server name is: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Hope this helps. If you still have questions, please let me know.

lucycat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think this will work. I understand now what I was not doing -- changing the authentication section on the outgoing server tab. Now once I find the paper where I wrote down my password (sigh), I should be fine.

Thanks, Somegirl. I was hoping you would reply because you have very good explanations.

0 Likes
lucycat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found my password and I can now send email from my other address! Hooray! You have made my day. Thanks. I hope others will read your note, too, because you explained it exactly.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

lucycat wrote: 

Thanks, Somegirl. I was hoping you would reply because you have very good explanations.

You're making me blush. 😉

As a side note, even a first-level tech support agent can reset your password for you, so if you can't find the paper you can call to have it reset. Just make sure you personalize it after they reset it, because the reset password will expire. (I think it's good for 24 hours, but I could be wrong.) You can call them (main number is still 800-567-6789 I believe), or go here for other options like chat or email.

*Edit* I see you found it. I'll leave that note up there in case others need it though. Glad you got it working!

0 Likes