Port 25 and Mac Mail
loftyes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've read several of the posting for the port change in the forum but couldn't find one regarding the Mac, so here it goes.

Ever since I got "the letter" from Verizon, I haven't been able to send email. Receiving email is fine. In the past I haven't had to do anything. I've followed the instructions, even emailed screen shots of my SMTP set up to Verizon but got no response (imagine that??!!)

I have one email account, verizon.net. I only use Mac Mail to send/receive email. Here are the details:

iMac G4, OS X 10.3.9, MacMail version 1.3.11

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Server Settings:
    Port 587 (was 25)

Not using SSL

Whenever I try to send/reply to email I get the following error:

Error

This message  could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

The sender address...@verizon.net was rejected by the server.

Neither port 25 nor 587 work. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port 25 and Mac Mail
loftyes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Alas, somegirl...I changed my outgoing server to verify my PW and voila! my mail sent.

I appreciate your insight...that was the only thing I hadn't tried...  Smiley Happy

Sometimes you just need another brain to help you get over the frustration

Thanx!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you are sending only with your verizon.net email, then the port 25 change shouldn't be affecting you at all. This change is only for people using a client with a 3rd party email address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc).

Is there a check box for your outgoing server to use the same authentication settings as your incoming? If your incoming is working, you might try that.

0 Likes
chief06

I didn't get "the letter."  Can someone provide a link to it or summarize?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you didn't get the notification, your area probably has not been switched over yet.

Nonetheless, all of the information can be found at http://www.verizon.net/port25

0 Likes
loftyes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Alas, somegirl...I changed my outgoing server to verify my PW and voila! my mail sent.

I appreciate your insight...that was the only thing I hadn't tried...  Smiley Happy

Sometimes you just need another brain to help you get over the frustration

Thanx!!

0 Likes