Switch Account

Port Direction Definition? (and got port forward to work in medium security!)

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Port Direction Definition? (and got port forward to work in medium security!)

Message 1 of 4
(3,036 Views)

I just received my replacement modem (327W to 7500) and I want to set it to medium security.  I need to forward ports, like UDP 123 for time service (why is this not a predefined service?).

Anyway, I got it to work by making one new service with "host" and all three combinations of direction as rules.  This is because I could not figure out the implications of Direction: In/Out or Port Direction:Src/Dst.

I downloaded the manual BUT it does not define those choices; just sez select.  It reminds me of the old IBM Fortran manuals where you could only find what you needed if you already knew the answer.

Anyway, I am sure I am not the only one with this question.  Like I said, the good news is you CAN port forward in medium security, it just ain't pretty the way I did it.

Regards,

Dewey

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Port Direction Definition? (and got port forward to work in medium security!)

Message 2 of 4
(3,027 Views)

Does this/these guides help you

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/A90-750015-07/A90-750015-07index.htm

?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Port Direction Definition? (and got port forward to work in medium security!)

Message 3 of 4
(3,016 Views)

No, but thanks.  It is the guide that I said above just tells you to select an optopn without defineing those terms.  Hence, my question about what SRC and DST under port direction mean.

Regards,

Dewey

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(3,010 Views)

Oh, ok.

src=Source.

DST = Destination.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.