Port forwarding
GideonK

Hi all, I used to be able to open ports on my Westel 2200 with no problems, any time and all the time. Verizon technician replaced it recently with a Westel G90-610015-20 and now I'm not able to to open a port to save my life. Whateve I try, http://www.canyouseeme.org/ keeps coming back with: 'can't see your service on.....'

Any Suggestions? Thanks, G.

0 Likes
Re: Port forwarding
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Consider the fact that the Westell 2200 is simply a bridged modem. This may be why you were able to port forward as this modem simply takes what comes in/out on the DSL end of things and passes it to the Ethernet port. The Westell 6100 if it is not put into bridge mode will act as a router. Essentially, you'll be behind a double NAT and will need to port forward twice.

If the Internet light on your 6100 is lit green, that means the modem is not bridged and needs to be bridged to your router. I have an FAQ I wrote for the Frontier Communications forum over at DSLReports that you can follow and it should help you accomplish this task. While bridging, take care to note down what sort of protocol your modem is using. If you use PPPoE, you will need to configure your router to connect to Verizon using PPPoE which requires your Verizon username and password. If it shows "Routed Bridge" or DHCP, you have a DHCP connection and upon briding the modem, you must wait a few hours before connecting up your router, or you must call Verizon to break the DHCP lease.

See this: http://seansite.dyndns.org/frontierfaq/equipment/6100/bridge.html

The guide only addresses PPPoE connections, but if you use DHCP ignore the part about adjusting MTU and configuring your router. SImply plug it in after a few hour wait and boot it up. Should get you online.

0 Likes
GideonK

Smith6612, Thanks for the quick replay.I will try it later and let you know how I made out.

0 Likes
GideonK

Hi Smith6612, No succeess yet. I followed the directions and my Westell modem changed from PPPoE to a bridged state (no Internet green light), Did an IPConfig /release and was able to connect to the modem but no internet connection ("Pending! your modem is not ready for internet access"). 

Do I have to have a router? Is there a way to do this without adding an extra router? All I have is the Westell G90-610015 replacing the Westell 2200. I was hoping the bridged state of the G90 will mimick the 2200. Still need help, Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gotcha. I was assuming that you had a router already in the mix. Shouldn't have suggested that without checking! 😞

With the 2200 did you use a PPPoE dialer on the computer at all? Basically, did you go to "Connect to a Network" or your Network connections and click on a Verizon connection which dialed a connection to Verizon? If not, then I might be mistaking the Westell 2200 for the 2100. One of those models is a simple "bridge" modem that gives your computer the Public IP.

Anyways, port forwarding on the Westell 6100 is pretty simple. The first thing to check though is UPnP. I suggest turning it off since in some cases I've noticed UPnP over-riding Port Forwarding entries and causing all sorts of problems. I also suggest checking the Firewall on the modem so it is set to either "Low" or "No Security" since any setting higher than that will result in Port Forwarding being rendered useless.

Here's an example guide which should help you along for making port forwarding entries within the 6100. The guide is for the Westell 7500, but it gives you screenshots and step by step instructions on what to do and the concepts are the exact same on the Verizon provided Westell 6100s.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/A90-750045-07/Access_Remote_PC.htm

0 Likes