Power-off DSL GT704WGB Resets to Factory Settings
TigerG
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon: do you care about securing your customer's systems? Apparently not!

I have a GT704WGB DSL router that resets to factory settings on a power off. This is extremely insecure behavior because it resets the router's login id and password to the factory default. This exposes my system to hacking because anyone can guess the factory defaults. I have not found on Verizon's web site or on Actiontec's web site any concern for the security of their customers in this. I have been unable to find a firmware upgrade for this. Google does not find a firmware upgrade. I have e-mailed Verizon's support site and got only an automated response. I only see one other message in this forum about this problem. Am I the only one with the problem or the only one who is concerned?

0 Likes
Re: Power-off DSL GT704WGB Resets to Factory Settings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this.

#1 Go to Utilities.

#2 Log-in as need be.

#3 Click on Upgrade Firmware.

#4 In there, they give to you a link of where to download the firmware.

#5 Click that link and download the firmware.

#6 Install the firmware according to the directions there.

#7 If that does not work, there is also open source firmware.

http://opensource.actiontec.com/

0 Likes
Re: Power-off DSL GT704WGB Resets to Factory Settings - Security Risk
TigerG
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to the page Upgrade Firmware and clicked link to get the upgrade. It is the image I have had installed. 3.17.0.

The problem occurs if I turn on WiFi. I can set up a new admin login and password and it will be retained on a power-off if WiFi is turned off. When I turn WiFi on then the router returns to the factory defaults when the power goes off. I had turned on WiFi for some visitors. Then we had a power outage overnight and the router reset to the factory admin login and password. I did not realize this for several days until I tried to use WiFi and found the SSID was reset to the factory default.

Running with the factory default login id and password is a privacy and security risk. Do not accept this router from Verizon if you plan to use WiFi.

0 Likes
Re: Power-off DSL GT704WGB Resets to Factory Settings - Security Risk
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I took what you posted, and put out a notice to:

a) Other CL(s)

b) Verizon mods/admins

#2 I have a very bad feeling about this equipment...

--

You could:

#1 Go get your own RJ-45 WAN port router.

#2 Put the modem into briige mode.

On how to get this modem into bridge mode, see the info at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25039239-

--

Since I don't know if that will work or not, this is what I recommend you do.

#1 Go get your own modem combo,

#2 Be advised if you want any help from Verizon on troubleshooting your DSL connection if you do not use a modem provided by them OR a modem with their logos, then that will cost you extra money.

#3 That is why, you can keep your existing DSL GT704WGB spare modem combo (no need for them to make you pay extra).

--

OR maybe you could, get rid of Verizon as your ISP ?

0 Likes
Re: Power-off DSL GT704WGB Resets to Factory Settings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like a faulty peice of equipment, if it loses its setting when powered off...

#1 Did you ask Verizon for a replacement?

#2 If not, do it.

#3 If you asked for replacement, check the to see if replacement does the same thing OR not.

0 Likes