Problem with connecting Router
farmboy6

I recently bought a Netgear WGR614 router.  I have DSL.  My desktop computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Home and a Pentium 4 processor.  When I went to set up the router, I followed the instructions on the CD that came with it.  I started by disconnecting the modem from the computer and then connecting the cable still connected to the computer to the router.  When I did, the computer froze and an obnoxious whining noise came from the computer.  The router was not connected to anything else at the time.  I disconnected the cable and waited several seconds then a popup appeared that said there was a USB power surge on hub port.  I examined the cable that came with the modem.  It is a normal ethernet cable at the end that plugs into the modem, but splits at the computer, half ethernet, half USB.  I disconnected every other USB device so that the modem was the only thing connected.  I tried several more times and was able to get wireless internet via the router to my laptop, but the USB hub would always shut down and I cannot get Internet wirelessly and to my desktop computer at the same time.  I have tried using a straight ethernet cable from the modem to the processor, but it doesn't work.

Is there any way I can bypass the split cable?  For that matter, is there anything I can do?  I know people who have the exact same modem and they have just a plain jane ethernet cable.  I hope I didn't forget any details, but if I remember anything else, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Problem with connecting Router
farmboy6
The modem is a Westell 6100f.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Forget using the usb portion of the split cable.  A huge reason to not use is is speeds.  THey are much slower using usb compared to ehternet.  I believe you have to run ethernet from the modem to the internet port of the router.  From the router run an ethernet wire from any one of the 4 lan ports to the ethernet port on the computer.

If your ethernet port does not work on the dell you can go to your control panel, select the system icon, go to hardware and select your device manager.  There you will see a list of the devices installed in your system. What your looking for is the green icon called network adapter.  There it should show your network card for the ehternet.  Right click on it and go to properties...it should be enabled and working properly.

0 Likes
farmboy6

If I disconnect the USB portion of the cable, I lose internet to my desktop.  I tried using a plain ethernet cable from the modem to the desktop (without the router in the works) to see if I could bypass the split cable, and I got nothing.  Its like this modem won't let me use anything except for that stupid split cable but I can't use the cable with the router.  If I can find another ethernet cable, I'll try setting it up without the split cable but I don't know if it will work.

By the way, the network adapter is enabled, and I check it every time I do something different, so that can be ruled out.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

What we need to figure out is why the computer can't see the modem using the ethernet cable.  Have you tried resetting the modem with the reset on the back of the modem? 

After you do this, connect the ethernet from the modem to the computer...open internet explorer and in the address bar type 192.168.1.1

You should see a login to get into the router...If you can see the login which is admin/password then we can move onto the next step

Reloading the information into the modem...password and username that you created when you opened your verizon account.   If you don't have the disk, you can usually go to the website:  https://activate.verizon.net/launch/welcome

Select the option "Reconnect to the Internet because I reset or replaced my modem"

If you can't see any of this, then there is an issue with the ethernet port on the computer.

0 Likes
farmboy6
Ok I tried resetting the modem and punching in the code and there is no login.  So..... I give up.  I think I'm getting a new desktop soon anyway, so I'll just have to wait until then to set up my router.  Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
Arun3
What's the IP address that you get when you connect the ethernet cable to the modem? Is it 192.168.1.x or 169.254.x.x or something else?
0 Likes