Question about dsl lines
Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I have a general question: if you get a second phone line for dsl, is that a better option than a shared line? Is there less interference or the same amount because it is coming into the same building? Also, why is there no online option to check your dsl connection, just for Fios? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about dsl lines
jonjones1
Legend

What you want is DRY LOOP service. Verizon no longer does that.

hope this time this was the answer to your question?

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Verizon is phasing out copper lines so dsl will not be around much longer.

dsl has filters that are on the lines to make and receive calls on. The line needing the internet is unfiltered.

you just need the one line into the home. But dsl is going away so look into fios if it is available 

0 Likes
Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

People have been saying that for about 10 years now. Guess what, DSL is still here and FIOS is being phased out. No FIOS where I live and from what Verizon is saying, it will never be. They are working on the cell stuff more than internet. Our options here are DSL and Comcast, which I am about ready to go to. But am unable right now because of funds. So, my question was not answered. My question was this: will getting a second line for JUST DSL help with line interference?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

OP

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 Even If you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem and you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding a 2nd line for just DSL should not make any difference.

Make sure you have properly installed filters on your current line.  If you're not sure how they should be installed, ask.

If you want to debug the "interference," post some details about what you've observed and answer dslr595148's questions.

Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response. I was just curious about that. My problem was apparently my router. Ordered a new one that came in today and all seems fine. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suppose we should clarify what you mean by interference. Are you trying to load balance traffic in your house between two connections for more bandwidth? Are you asking about whether you can get a better signal on the copper wire with a second line, when you already have DSL on a primary line? Or whether offloading DSL to a secondary line without dial tone will work?

Generally when it comes to DSL, POTS Voice and DSL are operating on separate, but distinct frequencies. The filters on the lines are used to avoid telephones from causing echos and interference with these higher frequencies. However, what can happen is if you have a house with a lot of telephones, and thus a lot of filters, you'll find that attenuation may be slightly higher on your line or the Noise Margin is lower than out at the Demarcation point between your house and the Telephone company's wiring. This is because having phones on the line is an additional "load" on the line. Phones going off the hook and ringing also changes the load characteristic of a copper wire.

To correct this additional load, you can get a "Home Run" installed, where the DSL signal is given a dedicated copper pair to run through between the NID and your modem, and your house phones remain connected as before, except without the need for filters at each jack. Techs can install this by swapping out a module on your NID, or by installing a separate box with an integrated filter/splitter.

But generally, there's little benefit to getting a second pair (at least with Verizon DSL) unless you plan to get a second Internet connection for more bandwidth. Keeping in mind that the backhaul from the DSLAM through the Central Office can still be your bottleneck. Also, if the area is old as well as the lines, having two DSL circuits installed can decrease the noise margin on both a little bit, or a lot. Again, depending on the wiring. Now if Verizon supported ADSL2+ bonding to accomplish higher speeds, then getting a second "dry loop" line would be beneficial.

As for line testing, you can view statistics from the modem, called the Transceiver Statistics. This shows the health of your line, and a good modem will also show Error statistics. Verizon's able to see the same information on their end. Now, for copper wire testing, there is an old tool called Mechanised Loop Test (MLT). Verizon can run these if you report a trouble with your connection. Verizon cannot run a test on a landline, however, while it is off the hook or lacks phone service, as it won't produce correct results. Probably a reason why they mandate a landline, as silly as a policy as it may be.

Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have been having issues with staying connected lately. I just got a new modem from Verizon because the other one broke. I really would love just to have stable internet and someone to tell me why we keep having problems. Not complaining because it usually comes back on. I was just curious if a dedicated phone line for DSL you help the situation so no phones were connected. Not sure if that would correct any issues.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

What you want is DRY LOOP service. Verizon no longer does that.

hope this time this was the answer to your question?

Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. That does answer my question.