Question about high speed DSL
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had high speed DSL 1.5 MB service since 8/20. Up until last night I was in love with the service. It was running between 600 and 1000KBPS excededing my expectations.

Then last night around 9:45pm it got extremely slow. I am talking 23.3KBPS on the bandwidth test I was able to run from CNET. I followed the instructions in the tech support and power cycled my modem and PC. I checked all connections and they were secure. The DSL light is solid which from what I have read here means I have a connection.

Would rain/thunderstorms cause an issue? We have had a large amount of rain since Saturday.

I am just frustrated with this issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about high speed DSL
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

The tech was out today. He hooked his COLT unit up to the line inside directly and instantly got a 678KB/s speed. He tested the wiring at the NID and found  it could handle up to 1584KB/s. Came back in and looked around a bit. I showed him the 192.168.1.1 page and he saw that it wasn't even after I had been telling him this for 30 minutes.

He ran a speed test at some serviceman login page and it started working. I have no idea what fixed it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

Westell 6000 modem. We are not using a router. The DSL Modem is the only thing in the apartment connected to a phone jack.

And I am using Windows Firewall Software. I have made no changes to the configuration since we have had Verizon High Speed DSL.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok..

Please post the modem status from your modem.

#1 If you have no idea of what I mean, since I have no idea of how old or new your Westell 6100 is, I point you to All DSLR (.dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » 4. Hardware -> How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

#2 When there, notice that they talk about the white and blue Westell Firmware and the red and black Westell firmare.

Please only answer my question - Do NOT attempt to do what they tell you to do there, at this time.

Which one, do you have?

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

it has the Red and Black firmware. I know that. I can post a modem status when I get home this evening.

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3
Modem Status Internet Status: Connected DSL Link: Connected Speed(Down/Up) 32 Kbps / 448 Kbps Connection Type: PPPoE Username: homercles82 IP Address: REMOVED FOR SECURITY why would my download speed be lower than my upload by ten fold?
0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3
Margin (dB) 5.6 Is that an issue?
0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

my upload speed has increased to 96K but that is still about ten times slower than it should be.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The modem status is/are at System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.2.2.0.1

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                    96                           448

Margin (dB)                                          7.0                         8.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                         64.9                      31.5

Transmit Power (dBm)                      11.0                       11.9

0 Likes