Re: Question regarding Mbps on my High Speed Internet Enhanced
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon uses the ASSIA Optimizer tool for two purposes. As jonjones mentioned, it contains a diagnostic suite for ADSL Connections which allows for Verizon to see it's current operating status, as well as logging historical information about your connection to see how it's been performing over time.

ASSIA is also responsible for adjusting the connection speed in the event a line is about to become unstable. Or, if a line can take more bandwidth, turning up the speed.

ASSIA can be anywhere from conversative to aggressive with how it adjusts the line. As such, I usually suggest getting the optimizer portion of it disabled by Verizon, and a speed tier provisioned manually. That way, you know what you're supposed to get, and line issues will typically be the only thing that will physically slow down your connection. Whether it slows down at night or what not, that's really up to your local infrastructure.

0 Likes
Re: Question regarding Mbps on my High Speed Internet Enhanced
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With adsl as long as you in the range between 3 - 7 mbps that is correct. If your sync rate is too high base on you distance from the central office you will constantly lose sync. So sometimes they will drop the sync rate for optimal  conditions an as long as its between 3-7 then it's ok. Base on your numbers it looks like you connection is syncing 3360 which is 3 mbps. You have to be very close to central office to get 7.1 mbps. Also no need for cat 7. Cat5e is rated at a gig which is 1000 mbps and cat 6 is 10 gig. So any cat6 patch cable is sufficient. 

0 Likes