Ready to throw in the proverbial towel...
Gerard_Sr
Enthusiast - Level 3
OK, after several years of semi trouble free internet DSL and two very miserable years of constantly rebooting the modem and speeds as low as 32 K, yes 0.032 Mbps ( with uploads sort of staying in the 300 to 490 k range ), while paying for the 3.0 Mb plan, it's time to ask for advice. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced CABLE modem that has a four port router and wireless? What about just a moderately priced CABLE modem and I'll get a router with wireless? Thanks for your time. Gerard
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ready to throw in the proverbial towel...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I can't make suggestions for Cable modems besides a Motorola 6120/6121 (which are just modems, no routers to them) to use on Comcast, it might be worthwhile to check out this list Comcast has: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I *STRONGLY* suggest using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on a cable system in this day and age. Even if there isn't DOCSIS 3 support in your area yet, the DOCSIS 3 modem will use an older standard until the day comes where DOCSIS 3 becomes available.

Anyways, if you'd like help with the DSL connection to see what the deal is with it, we can do that. Otherwise, I would ask around over at DSLReports' Comcast forum for more info 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you looking for a Cable modem for use with a Cable provider, or are you looking for a DSL modem with Ethernet and/or Wireless connectivity available that can be used with Verizon? I can help with both but I need clarification.

0 Likes
Gerard_Sr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thnx for your interest. Smiley Happy

I'm looking for recommendations for a moderately priced CABLE MODEM that is a wireless router similar to the Westell 7500.

If not that, just a moderately priced CABLE MODEM for use with Comcast. I'll use one of the Westell 7500s here as a router if need be.

The DSL here is too unstable. That just started about two years ago. Me-thinks it's central office equipment that is in dire need of servicing or replacement.

Gerard

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I can't make suggestions for Cable modems besides a Motorola 6120/6121 (which are just modems, no routers to them) to use on Comcast, it might be worthwhile to check out this list Comcast has: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I *STRONGLY* suggest using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on a cable system in this day and age. Even if there isn't DOCSIS 3 support in your area yet, the DOCSIS 3 modem will use an older standard until the day comes where DOCSIS 3 becomes available.

Anyways, if you'd like help with the DSL connection to see what the deal is with it, we can do that. Otherwise, I would ask around over at DSLReports' Comcast forum for more info 🙂

0 Likes
Gerard_Sr
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks a bunch Smith ! This message is getting shorter and shorter as when I try to post it, I get "an unexpected error" from the forum. I'll copy to the clipboard before I attempt posting it again. I didn't get pricing from the Comcast yet, not any way to try it for a month. Last time I had them, before DSL was in my area, they were pretty darn slow until after midnight. The sharing thing I guess.