Remote access/port forwarding-HELP
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3
We are trying to get set up for remote access to our system using the Westell #7500 router.  In order to accomplish this we need Port Forwarding.  From what I understand port forwarding is not supported.  We have attempted to set up the port forwarding in the modem interface with no luck.  I have and some very knowledgeable IT people look at the system with no luck.  We have come to the conclusion that we need 3rd party hardware and/or a fixed IP address.  I cannot believe that Verizon has made something that is ordinarily so simple so impossible to do.  The only positive in all of this is that we are virtually so far off the map that there is really no risk of any intrusion from the outside world unless we invite them in.  We have built a "connected" home, but cannot connect from the outside world to control our systems.
Can this be done or do I need different hardware?
Or do I need a different DSL provider?
Verizon support has proven absoluetely useless in this regard. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote access/port forwarding-HELP
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally got things working.  Here is what we did:

Westell reconfigured into Bridge Mode. (instructions on DSL Reports.com FAQ

Linksys Router with Mac address cloned to Westell unit.

I missed turning the wireless off at first and needed to redo it, but we are now into the Vantage and working on Milestone for my cameras. 

View solution in original post

Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can anybody suggest alternative modem/router that would work with Verizon?  It sure looks like the Westell stuff is nothing but crap.  VERY clunky Verizon interface. 

I went through the setup once more with another highly qualified IT Tech and had the same result.  The Port fwding was set up properly.  The divice was found to be listening in the network.  The device could not be contacted from the outside world.  

0 Likes
cwc001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've found the interface very hard to deal with, and there doesn't seem to be any support from either Verizon or Westell for any of

the "advanced" features in the 7500.  I've made port forwarding work though.

You aren't very specific about what services on your Lan you are trying to expose, but in no particular order here some thing that might help you out.

- Make sure that your 7500 firewall is set no higher than medium otherwise port forwarding isn't going to do anything at all.  

- Turn on logging so the device tells you when it blocks something.

- If you don't have a static WAN IP sign up for a dynamic dns service.

- You probably want to have a static LAN IP assigned to the service on the LAN you are trying to access.

- Make sure that the LAN service isn't running a software firewall that is blocking things.

Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Security is set to None.  If I set to anything else my email will not function.

Logging is enabled and at one time it actually showed logs, but looking at it I find nothing in the logs at present.

From what we see we need to try a different router.

0 Likes
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

When testing we used Shields Up and found nothing.  No vulnerability, nothing to indicate that it was even listening.

Within the LAN the device was located and found listening.  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution

#2 What is the DHCP Range of the router?

#3 When you forwarded your ports, what IP Address did you try to forward to?

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> UPnP.

#5 Turn that feature off if you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router.

0 Likes
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Start= 192.168.1.15  end = .47

My device is .10

UPNP is not checked enabled

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 You are forwarding to to 10?

#2 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes fwd to port 10

The device is not a PC it is actually a lighting/automation controller.

Firewall is off in the Verizon interface.

0 Likes
Hesperus
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's device at .10 not port 10

0 Likes