Resetting the Westell 327W
pjh3
Enthusiast - Level 3
If I reset my Westell 327W, will I have to set up a new account profile (Account ID and Password, and VPI/VCI values)? I have my DSL through Verizon and AOL, and I do not know any information about the Verizon side so what username/password do I use? The 327W has Verizon firmware. Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Resetting the Westell 327W
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

VPI/VCI values with the Verizon firmware should be auto-detected upon the modem's first boot from a reset. The modem should also identify that PPPoE is used, and from that point reboot once it has configured itself. If it does not configure itself, just use the VPI/VCI settings of 0/35 respectively and that should get it talking to the network.

As for PPPoE, you may or may not need to set that up. Most areas use OpenPPPoE where any combination of Username and Password will allow you to log into the network. But if that's not the case, just enter in the credentials you use for either AOL (If it's a Verizon + AOL account which you have) or get the PPPoE Information from Verizon or the modem before factory resetting it (at least the username). Just keep in mind with the Verizon firmware on the 327w, even if the PPPoE session is up and running, you will need to disable the Walled Garden before attempting to browse. Otherwise you'll bump heads with an Activation Page.

The Walled Garden can be found at: http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm . Just turn it off by pressing the Disable Button.

0 Likes
pjh3
Enthusiast - Level 3

You said "Most areas use OpenPPPoE where any combination of Username and Password will allow you to log into the network." How do I tell if I'm in one of those areas?

You said. "just enter in the credentials you use for either AOL (If it's a Verizon + AOL account which you have) or get the PPPoE Information from Verizon or the modem before factory resetting it (at least the username)." So if after resetting, the 327W shows me the "Getting Started" page, I can use the AOL username and password?

Is it significant that the 327W User Guide does not mention a "Walled Garden"?

Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll tell if you're in one of those areas when you reset the modem and shortly after a reset, the Internet light is on and the modem is connected using a profile called "newdsl."

#2: Yes, that should work if they are tied together. If not, like I said, ask Verizon for what to use. A rep should be able to get some info to you.

3: Not really. This is meant to be undocmented by Verizon since they provide tools that configure the modem and disable that. Techies such as I like to know these undocumented functions due to troubleshooting and setup preferences. Also, unless the user manual was revised I'm positive it ties into how the Westell firmware ran.

0 Likes