Router upgrade cost
peterh4

My wirless router kept cutting off- and I was told to move it away from quipment, which I did, and it would still cut out-overheating?  Now they are offering a new 'updated' router with significant cooling vents.  Anyone else having this problem, and are we paying for their overheating mistake?

0 Likes
Re: Router upgrade cost
jonjones1
Legend

@peterh4 wrote:

My wirless router kept cutting off- and I was told to move it away from quipment, which I did, and it would still cut out-overheating?  Now they are offering a new 'updated' router with significant cooling vents.  Anyone else having this problem, and are we paying for their overheating mistake?

You don’t say what router your using now, and I will assume the replacement is a Quantum Gateway Router G1100?  And I don’t know if it has cooling vents. You could first try to take a vacuum and suck out the lint and other debris that normally block the air flow. This may fix your issue. Try that first.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Vacuums shouldn't be used with electronic devices. That's a static issue. An air gun or "canned air" will work better.

On that note, what router is in use? Is this for FiOS or DSL Service?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

Vacuums shouldn't be used with electronic devices. That's a static issue. An air gun or "canned air" will work better.

On that note, what router is in use? Is this for FiOS or DSL Service?

I have used a vacuum on not only my own devices but that is the way I was taught when I worked on mainframe computers. When I built systems for friends I opened the whole chassis and used the vacuum first and compressed air into areas it was hard to get at. Never had any issues. I do the same to my printers, and my tv’s and stereo system everything. Never a problem. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whichever works. As with everything else, YMMV!

0 Likes