Switch Account

Router upgrade cost

Contributor peterh4
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
(1,260 Views)

My wirless router kept cutting off- and I was told to move it away from quipment, which I did, and it would still cut out-overheating?  Now they are offering a new 'updated' router with significant cooling vents.  Anyone else having this problem, and are we paying for their overheating mistake?

4 REPLIES 4
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 5
(1,254 Views)

@peterh4 wrote:

My wirless router kept cutting off- and I was told to move it away from quipment, which I did, and it would still cut out-overheating?  Now they are offering a new 'updated' router with significant cooling vents.  Anyone else having this problem, and are we paying for their overheating mistake?

You don’t say what router your using now, and I will assume the replacement is a Quantum Gateway Router G1100?  And I don’t know if it has cooling vents. You could first try to take a vacuum and suck out the lint and other debris that normally block the air flow. This may fix your issue. Try that first.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 5
(1,186 Views)

Vacuums shouldn't be used with electronic devices. That's a static issue. An air gun or "canned air" will work better.

On that note, what router is in use? Is this for FiOS or DSL Service?

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 4 of 5
(1,184 Views)

@Smith6612 wrote:

Vacuums shouldn't be used with electronic devices. That's a static issue. An air gun or "canned air" will work better.

On that note, what router is in use? Is this for FiOS or DSL Service?

I have used a vacuum on not only my own devices but that is the way I was taught when I worked on mainframe computers. When I built systems for friends I opened the whole chassis and used the vacuum first and compressed air into areas it was hard to get at. Never had any issues. I do the same to my printers, and my tv’s and stereo system everything. Never a problem. 

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 5 of 5
(1,178 Views)

Whichever works. As with everything else, YMMV!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.