Routing problems within verizon.net -- where can I complain?
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2
I had a new issue pop up this morning -- I can reach certain sites but not others.  I can reach the "non-reachable" sites from a different (non-Verizon DSL) connection -- I can also (very rarely) reach them intermittently from my Verizon DSL connection, but with obvious packet loss (incomplete page loads for example).  tracert shows packets going three hops through the verizon net and then timing out. So, routing problem in Verizon.

Not surprisingly, this is beyond the scripts that the level 1 tech guys have.  Their supervisors are scratching their heads and attacking this at the CO, which is fairly obviously (to anyone who's not a Verizon script-follower) not where the problem is, level 3 says they can't do anything now that it's a supervisor issue.  I hold out no hope that this will get resolved, but even if/when it does, I still want to pursue a complaint against Verizon for being such a bunch of donkeys in their handling of this.  I got disconnected on phone hold four times and on live chat four times, and each time had to go back and start explaining the problem from the beginning with the next script-follower, each of which wanted me to do the usual {please keep your posts courteous} not-gonna-fix-it "troubleshooting" steps like rebooting the computer, rebooting the modem, connecing to the modem with an ethernet cable, deleting the browser's history, blah de blah de blah.  Even if one of these  {please keep your posts courteous} waves a magic wand and fixes everything in the next fifteen minutes (which is absolutely not going to happen, no one is even working on it until tomorrow AM, union time), they still deserve a boot to the head about this.  How can I see they get it?

Message Edited by KaLin on 04-30-2009 09:13 PM
0 Likes
Re: Routing problems within verizon.net -- where can I complain?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While you may be talking about DSL, here is another thread where they are talking about FIOS

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=4272

^^
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

I feel your frustration.  I've been there myself at times.  It used to frustrate me until a friend reminded me that I was talking to an entry level person that probably knows much less than me so now I immediately ask for level 2 or a supervisor.

WIth that said,  it's not unreasonable to expect the call center to want to start from the beginning everytime you call back because you were disconnected.  They have no idea that you were talking to someone and got disconnected.  As for following the script, I'm sure that more than 90% of the callers get their calls resolved with those scripts.  And 10% of us who know what is going on are left unsatisfied.

I'm timing out on my 3rd hop but I'm not experiencing any slowdowns.  Each hop is a different router.   Reaching certain sites but not others seems a bit odd since if there was a bad verizon router that was causing timeouts, it should impact all sites you're trying to get to.  But it is feasible since the router stores information about knowing whch router it needs to talk to next to get to your end site.  So, if the next router hop is offline, you will be hosed.  That's probably not a central office issue but a backbone issue.  Those buggers are a bit challenging to solve.

So, as to your complaint, I'm a bit old fashioned.  I like writting letters to the head honchos.  Takes longer but I know someone from their staff will look at it and try to resolve it. 

0 Likes
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't agree with the "begin at the beginning" treatment.  I understand why it happens, I just don't agree that it should.  I'm expected to not jerk my customers around like that, and I don't see why Verizon can't do the same.

As far as writiing a letter, I'm down with that -- so, how do I find the name of a head honcho to write a letter to?

0 Likes
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yeah, sounds like the same deal, it's a problem between Verizon and alternet.  I told them as much.  They said "Yes, now please connect your computer to the DSL modem using an ethernet cable." 
0 Likes