Service pack 3 update- now does not connect to Verizon DSL
dmgp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over weekend,  I upgraded pc to  Windows XP service pack 3 and Internet Explorer 7.  Now I cannot connect to internet through Westell modem DSL.  All modem lights are normal- solid DSL green plus flashing to steady Internet.  Reset modem and re-ran setup CD.  Error message- cannot connect to internet, check firewall settings and HTTP and HTTPS ports.  I turned off firewall and re-ran set up CD twice.   During set up, message cannot determine connection repeats.  I contacted tech support for trouble shooting, ran ping test and reset modem. 

Still receive same error message in Internet Explorer- cannot connect to internet.   No connection to Verizon.net or any web site. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Service pack 3 update- now does not connect to Verizon DSL
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Is your network interface card enabled?
0 Likes
dmgp
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can I check network interface card setting?     While troubleshooting,  I did a system restore back to Service Pack 2 and IE 6 but still cannot connect to internet.  Reran the Verizon set up- "cannot determine connection"  between modem and Verizon.   Another computer connected to modem displays same error in Internet Explorer.   How can I confirm modem is configured correctly? 

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

First off going back to SP2 and 6 is a major mistake even a fully updated 7 is vulnerable to massive nastiest.

Truth is Windows anything is totally unsuited to securely to surf on the internet.

Your mistake was reusing the setup CD

Okay toss CD over your shoulder.

We need to know what model Westell you are using is it one with a built in router or a straight modem

If you are using one with a built in router

go Start- run -cmd

when the CMD window pops up type IPCONFIG and then hit enter

you should see some numbers displayed

your IP address should read 192.168.x.x if your first two number are different your router is not giving you an address

if you are getting an IP address you want to note the gateway address.

go to IE and in the URL type HTTP:// and then enter your gateway address hit enter and you should see your setup screen for your router r

Run the wizard.

If you are using a straight modem go 

Start /network places

Run the setup home office network wizard 

kgrach

0 Likes
dmgp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree on going backward but lost internet connection after SP 3 and IE7 update.  The modem is Westell model 6100 non-wireless and I understood it has a router. Modem is giving  192.168.1.xx address in IPCONFIG plus gateway address.  

Thanks for the tips, need to get back online quickly.  Verizon support not very helpful in restoring a configuration.

charliex21
I had the same problem after I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3. I don't that's the problem, however as the same problem occured when I had SP2. I upgraded to a newer version of the modem and after installation, will not connect to the internet. It would ping out to sites like yahoo and verizon, but will not go to any web pages. Verizon claims that everything is okay on their end. I had to resort to going back to the ancient modem to connect again. The installation software cd is useless. What I have observed is that the modem does not receive a DNS? It's blank when I run IPconfig.
0 Likes
dmgp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted the Verizon support 800 number in Canada and they solved the problem in 5 minutes.  The technician immediately recognized the issue as reset settings and reconfigure the modem and took me through solution step by step. Check through the forum messages for Verizon support phone number in Canada.

I had the same experience with Support overseas who insisted the problem was in the computer and could not get past the script "unplug the cables, power cycle the modem. etc"

0 Likes