Service ready date delayed indefinitely due to strike?
Hungryman792
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I'm a resident of Washington DC who recently decided to opt for Verizon's high speed internet service, due mostly to poor experiences with competitors. I placed an order with Verizon on 8/5 and was told that my service ready date was scheduled for 8/11. Last week, however, a Verizon rep called me saying that the service date had been canceled, with no indication as to a future installation date. 

From what I understand, the strike is supposed to last for many weeks, if not months. I've tried reaching a Verizon rep by phone, but due to the strike all calls are rerouted to an automatic message, then quickly terminated. There has been no more communication from Verizon.

I understand that a strike of this magnitude is a challenge for any company to manage, but I usually do a lot of research-intensive work at home and I can't exactly put everything on hold until, say, November just waiting for Verizon. Does anyone know if there are any plans to make up for the service delays--e.g. contingency plans--or can I expect the cold shoulder until the strike ends? 

If not, I may have to grit my teeth and settle for Comcast, AT & T, etc.

Re: Service ready date delayed indefinitely due to strike?
Hungryman792
Enthusiast - Level 2

This lack of communication is pathetic. What's more galling is that Verizon pretends that service is running smoothly in all its press releases--a blatant lie.  I really didn't want to do this, but I'll be calling Comcast today and seeing if I can cancel Verizon's service. 

bjaret
Enthusiast - Level 2

They are not doing any new installations at this time , is what a rep from verizon told me ive been with out 911 service since 8/10 . There my only service provider. Ive already tried to switch beleive me !

Hungryman792
Enthusiast - Level 2

As predicted, no one called. This is really frustrating...Apparently people who order service now are getting service dates of Dec. 30, if they're lucky...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/technology/verizon-strike-slowing-service-and-customers-complain.h... 

0 Likes
bcarroll7
Contributor - Level 3

Hungryman792, the information in the NYT article is incorrect (as also noted in the article). Due to the temporary work stoppage, we cannot commit to an installation date. A Verizon representative will contact you as soon as we can set up a firm installation date.

If you need to contact Verizon, please visit:  http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs and choose “Live Chat.” If a chat agent is available to assist you, the chat link will become live after the page is fully loaded. 

0 Likes
briangawenus

Well I have been having problem with HSI since the 3rd of august they were down for about 8 hrs on service for a update ever since they did the up date my internet has been going up and down up and down for weeks now and I am not getting full speed 7.1 its like running at 5.3 meg download and I called and reported it now I have to wait until September 1st for service and my son is starting pacyber school next week this is crazy

0 Likes
blackculture

The only incorrect information in the article is that "Verizon is no longer accepting new orders", a complete and total LIE. Absolutely NOWHERE on the site does it say anything about a strike, Verizon gladly accepted my order only to tell me after I paid that they're on strike. Oh gee, maybe I would have liked to know that before placing my order? Now I'm  stuck indefinitely waiting for a service ready date. For the rest of my life I am never going to buy anything involving Verizon again, the greed of corporations like this one never ceases to amaze me.

0 Likes