Re: DSL Sudddenly 20% Of Expected Speed - Babylon, NY
viperchain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do yourself a favor and keep your old internet service. Verizon lowered my speeds In December and still can't figure out how to fix it, so I fixed it for them I switched Internet providers and wala I have fast internet again!

Verizon's customer service is horrible and worthless.

BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

The continuing saga: Every customer service rep to whom I've spoken - and at this point, 6 days after I initiated my complaint, there have been a number - have all been above reproach in their behavior. The problem seems to be knowledge and coordination. After the tech visited me and decided I needed a port switch at the local CO, I was told by the person to whom he was speaking that I'd lose my DSL as soon as she submitted the change work request. I gave her the OK. An hour or two later (I usually keep very precise records, sigh) I got an automated phone call telling me my work order was complete. Naturally I immediately logged on and ran a speed test - still no good. I once again called tech support. Young lady started a background chat with her level 2 support (from past experience, someone stateside) and that person decided I'd be sent a new modem. Another hour or so later I received another call stating that my work order was in progress with completion scheduled 24-48 hours in the future. Uh, say what? I called again. Young guy heard my ire, did some research, explained that the first call I'd received referred to the tech visit, the second call to the change order. (Note I did NOT lose DSL as soon as (or here, a day later) the order was submitted). He also told me that the modem order would not be processed until afer the success/failure of the port switch. I just checked the status of the port switch on my account - due to be implemented tomorrow., and UPS just delivered the new modem today. Incredible.  (I should also note that Vz is the only internet provider I've ever had, and this slow DSL problem the first I've encountered).

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Babylon, NY
dchiches

After another week with Verizon Suport, a Tech finnally came to the house.   Reset my modem and stated that he believes my issue is not between My House and the Babylon CO.  He Believes the issue is btween the Babylon CO and Garden City CO which trunks into NYC and that is where the slow downs are coming from.   There are customers from Babylon and Lindenhurst who all have the same issue, However the typical customer has no idea of the slow down. 

Not sure what to believe any more,  On Saturday, to miy suprise, I saw 7Mbps download Speeds for a couple of hours.  It didn't last that long.   Later that evening, download speeds dropped back down to 1.5Mbps.   Of Course Verizon closed my case in the midst of this so I had to get the Case reopened again and Verizon support documents nothing,  So the new support perosn in California has no idea of what has been done already and wants to run the same tests over again.  I can;t believe it takes me 2 hours to reopen an issue that should have never been closed in the first place.

If Any one else has any news on this issue, please post it up.  thanks

0 Likes
dchiches1

Model in Use:

Actiontec GT784WNV

Here's the giganews Tracerts I did 2

traceroute to <Deleted>), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
2  te0-0-0-7.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.67.49)  0 ms te0-7-0-9.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.62.193)  0 ms te0-0-0-7.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.67.49)  0 ms
3  te0-2-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.31.101)  0 ms  0 ms te0-0-0-4.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.31.105)  0 ms
4  verizon.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.226)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
5  0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.142)  45 ms  45 ms  0 ms
6  P0-0-0-0.NYCMNY-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.223)  13 ms  11 ms  11 ms
7  P1-0.NYCMNY-GRCYNYGC-ERXG03.verizon-gni.net (130.81.45.31)  11 ms  11 ms  10 ms
8  pool-<Deleted>.nycmny.east.verizon.net<Deleted>  16 ms  17 ms  19 ms

traceroute to <Deleted>), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4)  1 ms  1 ms  1 ms
2  te0-0-0-7.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.67.49)  0 ms te0-7-0-9.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.62.193)  0 ms te0-0-0-7.mpd22.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.67.49)  0 ms
3  te0-2-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.31.101)  0 ms te0-0-0-4.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.31.105)  0 ms te0-2-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.31.101)  0 ms
4  uunet.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.13.138)  0 ms verizon.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.12.46)  0 ms verizon.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.226)  0 ms
5  0.ae2.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.34.22)  0 ms 0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.142)  0 ms  2 ms
6  P0-0-0-0.NYCMNY-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.223)  12 ms  12 ms  12 ms
7  P1-0.NYCMNY-GRCYNYGC-ERXG03.verizon-gni.net (130.81.45.31)  11 ms  11 ms  11 ms
8  pool-<Deleted>.nycmny.east.verizon.net <Deleted>)  17 ms  18 ms  20 ms

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

The saga drags on.... I found my repair ticket on this site, with  the port switch scheduled for completion on Thursday 1/17 at 5PM. I turned the computer on sometime after that, and then again much later in th evening, and saw that essentially nothing had changed. One of the 4 ISPs listed for NYC on speeedtest.net managed inconsistently to show speed varying around 6Mbps, but all others I tried still registered around 2Mbps, and once again, I tested with two different computers running different hardware, OS, security and browser software. I was then on the road for4 days; on Friday and again on Saturday, I received calls at home stating that the work had been completed and if I had any further issue to call a provided 866#. When I got home, I tried testing - and again found speeds in the sub-3Mbps speed, on two different computers etc., except that the Ping was down from 25-35ms to 15ms. Today, I installed Chrome on one of the computers, thinking perhaps my Firefox browser might somehow be at fault - but unsurprisingly, I got the same results with it, as well as with IE (which normally I never use), with all 3 browsers showing the Ping had returned to a measly 25-35ms. I also tried using the new modem (which had .shown up before the port switch had even been completed). And when, after all these variations continued to show nothing had been fixed, I called the number I'd been provided - to be told I was speaking to repair dispatch, who could in no way help me other than once again transfer me to tech support. So, after 10 days and more than 6 hours on the phone with various tech support folks, a visit from a tech, and a new modem, my speed issue has not in any way been resolved. Today's tech rep said she'd again escalated my issue, and I should expect a call back within 24-48 hours... 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

For that modem;

#1 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0 user used to be ADMIN password was PASSWORD however may be the modem serial number .

#2 Status tab on second one over from left on the top.

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

...and on and on. I got my return call from a tech at 8:30AM the next morning. As usual, he verified that my line and modem were capable of 10+Mbps. I ran several speed tests for him, and with with one sporadic exception (the Towerstream ISP on speedtest.net) my speed still showed roughly 2Mbps. During our conversation, he essentially concurred with the diagnosis I'd suggested the day I first called - 'Sandy' whacked out some portion of Verizon's infrastructure, and in working with (or around) whatever repairs were necessary, high-speed DSL for me disappeared. He said he'd continue investigating, suggesting yet another port switch might work if the previous switch had left me on the same overloaded router - though he also seemed to think my CO all went through a single router (apparently Garden City in Nassau county). I just checked my account repair status and saw that once again there's an open item with a completion date/time scheduled for 10PM today (Friday). 13 days so far... and it's definitely looking bad.

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

The madness continues. I was away for a few days, returned this afternoon (Tuesday 1/29). I had two messages on my answering machine. The first, left on Monday, was from the same Providence R.I. tech I mentioned in the last post. He'd found that there was in fact a single piece of Vz equipment capable of providing my expected speed, but hadn't yet  found my problem. He also stated that another DSL customer had reported precisely the same problem I was experiencing;  this customer was in a different town but was 'attached' to the same equipment. The tech said he was continuing the investigation and would call again. The second message, left on Tuesday from a different Vz rep, informed me that they'd found a possible fault in a 'cable' at my residence and I had to schedule a tech visit to investigate it. The icing on the proverbial cake was when I booted up my computer this afternoon, I no longer had any internet access! I admittedly went nuts. I called tech support and ranted. The rep calmly asked if I'd like him to reconfigure my modem to regain internet access. When I asked what had happened to the modem, he equally unconcernedly said that somehow the techs investigating my problem had reset it. (Please note: in another previous post, I mentioned that the tech rep had insisted quite definitely that ONLY pressing the reset button would cause this problem). We walked through the reset process and restored the connection, after which I demanded to speak to a 2nd or 3rd level supervisory person to explain the unbelievable screw-ups, and once again I was talking to someone in the U.S.,again in Providence. She explained what 'cable' problem was being detected (voltage on the line, and something to do with 97% vs 100% something else), and scheduled yet another tech visit to my home, to check exterior lines. Unanswered questions abound. (1) If 2nd level tech#1 says there's another customer on the same router in a different town with the same problem I have, why do they want to check my wires? (2) Why in the previous 18 days of  line tests repeated ad infinitum hadn't anyone detected this problem? (3) Why didn't the previous tech who visited check/detect this problem? (4) If there are different line tests, and only the most recent one detected this problem, why in the previous 18 days did the long list of tech support personnel NOT perform ALL the tests?  (5) If there's only a single router capable of the 10Mbps speed delivery, and I'm on it, and I had that speed previously, how did I and customer#2 suddenly lose it? (And now repeat Q#1). Today's Providence R.I. rep said she'd call again tomorrow, after the tech visit to my home. I can't wait to add to the ever-growing list of unanswered questions! It's just about time to send this entire tale to the PSC (especially if I'm not credited for the ongoing failure to provide my expected service).

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Interesting that you mention other customers with the same issue - until the message left for me on Monday (as I mention in my latest update on this fiasco) nobody at Vz had suggested that anyone else was having the problem. All that you state is what I'm experiencing: repeated tests all of which claim there's no discernible problem in my line or modem, the Garden City connection, and no definitive answrrs or explanations.

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hello BillB9,

It appears that your issue is being handled through our private support portal. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue on your private support case as the support agents will not see the public boards.

The support agent working on your case is awaiting additional info. Please provide this as requested in the private support area.

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes