Re: DSL Sudddenly 20% Of Expected Speed - Babylon, NY
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's now 5 days since moderator ElizabethS posted that a request had been made to respond to me from the tech department. Still no contact from anyone. Speedtest.net today 1.55Mbps down (Optimum host), 2,23 (Towerstream host), Speakeasy.net 1.6Mbps.

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

My speedtest.net tests today were below 2.5 Mbps (Optimum & Towerstream). I had a conversation yesterday with a friend in NJ who said his supposed 7+ "HSI" DSL was also running below 2Mbps. 7 days since moderator ElizabethS's request for tech response to my post on the 'private support portal', 13 days since she told me to give my original history of the problem at least 2 business days for a response... and still nothing from any tech support or anyone else. And yet Vz runs TV ads asking if your internet access is like a car without gas, suggesting they are the solution, and there's this quote (Newsday Jan. 28) "Verizon consistently provides a high quality level of service to Long Island residents and its communities" from Vz spokesman John Bonomo.

0 Likes
SIXCHRISTIES

Would love to say it gets better but been going through this for the past 4 months all i got was basically deal with it and keep paying for service that is less than 2% of what I am paying for.  Pay for 1mbps getting .04 mbps.  Hope you have better luck than I have been having with the lack of customer service from verizon.

0 Likes
Just_tired

Well I to would like to tell you it gets better, BUT.....I know  it will not.

I pay for a 15 MPS line and in October it went down to 1.x MPS, all repair options did not solve the trouble.  In December my line was again working fine, BUT.....for only that month in January went down again to 1.x MPS.

Now last week I had a call from the next level of support saying my line was OK and it was, whatever he did fixed it and was back to normal speed, BUT........it's now Sunday 2-17-2013.  Somewhere around 1:30PM or 2:00PM my line dropped to less then 1 MPS.  It has been running at that for the past few hours.  Wasted money on the movie I was watching for Sunday afternoon (got tired of watching the buffer circle go round and round).

BUT......

I'm sure verizon will fix it maybe for a day at least, BUT.......  if not then maybe everyone here should use their slow DSL lines to file an on-line " Informal Complaint "  with the FCC (it's free and they do look at them and respond back I know have the number to let one know if this problem was fixed or not)  I filed one already and will file another.

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's now blatanty obvious from the two newest comments on my problem that Vz in unable or unwillling to solve and fix the problem, and is unconcerned about its failure: I've received NO reply from either of the 2nd level techs who promised return calls, nor any response resulting from the moderator's direct request to Vz ro respond to me - and today my speed is roughly 1Mbps. I'm sending the complete history of this fiasco to both the NYS Atty General's office and (thanks for the suggestion) to the FCC, as well as posting a reasonably terse synopsis on the Vz FIOS Facebook page (they wisely have no DSL page). I'll post whatever responses I eventually receive (if any) from the FCC and AG, as well as whether I receive the billing credit I was twice promised by tech reps. I know how Sisyphus mst have felt!

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

BillB9,

We created a Private Support Case for you on January 15. 

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look down the middle towards the bottom where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".

There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

AnnieS

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

AnnieS,

I've been posting in the 'private support portal' since it was first suggested I do so. I even had to post a question as to where that portal was, and I only found it after searching the forums and finding someone else who'd gotten an answer to the same question. (Of course, if there's yet ANOTHER portal of which I'm STILL unaware, I'll add that 3rd site to my posts). I've now posted all the ongoing details of this problem on both Verizon FB pages (cellular ad FIOS), as well as in both the general and 'private support' forums, as I continue to compose my complaint to both the FCC and the NY Attorney General's office (as pointed to by the PSC). Aside from the private portal moderator stating she'd request a tech rep to respond to me on that portal after 10 days of silence following my posting there, I've heard nothing whatever from anyone at Vz.

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi BillB9,

I'm taking a look at your Private Support Case and see that you have responded several times.  I'm going to move it up the food chain, so to speak, so you can get some resolution.

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Babylon, NY
hwkeye1011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have Verizon DSL enhanced. During the past 30 days I have tested the speed of my DSL with Verizon and several other sites I found on-line.  With the enhanced DSL Verizon promised 1 to 3 MB. During the test with Verizon the speeds registered at 0.42MB  download  and 0.13 MB upload. The test on the other on-line sites registered  from 0.32MB download to 0.09 MB upload. This represents a considerable difference from the speeds I am paying for. I have spoken to Verizon customer service and all I get is apologizes and no solutions.  Presently, I have a dial-up as a back-up to my DSL service with Verizon.  The speeds registered with my dial-up is actually faster than my DSL.  If Verizon does not come up with more than a apology by May 2013 when my Cell phone and my Internet service expire I will find a replacement for Verizon.

Verizon spends considerable money trying to entice new customers and grow the business. Verizon management needs to recognize part of growing the business is keeping the old customers (been a Verizon customer for more than 20 years) and adding new customers.  If Verizon continues on their current path of not delivering the product they advertise this will not be achievable and exposes them to accusations of "bait and switch." I would strongly suggest Verizon spends less on advertising and more on  ensuring you are delivering the product you promised your customers.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Babylon, NY
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

HWKEYE101: On Friday I had yet another long conversation with the 2nd level? escalation? team rep in R.I., who (once again) decided my line had problems, specifically a 'capacitance imbalance' (reading 97% instead of 99-100% needed for DSL), and once again scheduled a tech visit. A 'pair switch' was performed. R.I. tech saw imbalance cleared up, and my speedtest.net results were suddenly running between 5 and 8+Mbps. Was THAT really the fix? Ha! Silly meI just measured speed again (as requested by R.I. rep who wants to know tomorrow) and my speed is worse than ever, ranging across 4 ISPs from 1.12 to 1.48Mbps. HOW can the speed jump up from 2 to nearly the expected speed and then two days later drop even lower than before the "fix"?????? "HSI" - oxymoron!

0 Likes