Slow DSL Babylon, NY
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spent 4+ hours on the phone with tech support to no avail. My DSL speed is supposed to be 10Mbps down, but several speed tests yesterday and today show 1.5-2.5 Mbps. When the speed upgrade first took effect month(s?) ago I was getting the higher speed (tests showed it), but when things lately seemed slow I ran the tests and was dismayed. I have 2 laptops - my 8 yo Dell, and a brand-new Toshiba. Different Windows OS, different firewalls & browser levels, vastly different hardware - single modem, direct Ethernet connect to whichever I'm running. The tech support folks found nothing wrong on their end, claimed I was getting the speed I was supposed to be getting - despite speed tests showing otherwise. Two suspects: 'Sandy' wrecking lines etc all over Long Island, and a mysterious modem problem (internal internet settings disappeared one day, required software reset - tech claimed ONLY pushing the red reset button would cause the problem BUT it's inset, cannot be accidentally pushed). Given NO changes on my old laptop, totally different OS/browser levels/hardware laptops getting the same results, I have to believe somewhere in Verizonville there's a bad setting that got REset and all the supposed speed seen by the techs is not in fact making it to me. 4 hours of my life on the phone - wasted. They're sending a technician... should I laugh or cry?

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Babylon, NY
andylui8
Enthusiast - Level 3

ahaha same.......the verizon tech wasted my whole day today and pretty much wasted my whole week!!! and whenever they send a tech to my house...i laugh and cry cause ik the tech would be useless for my problem.....cause ik..its something going on from the co ahah

0 Likes
dchiches1

Live in Babylon Village and have had DSL access with Verizon  for 6 years.   First 3 years, connection speed was at 3 Mbps, with no issue.  Then got my connection speed bumped up to 7Mbps for a year with no issues.  About a year and half ago, Verizon bump my coneection speed up to 11Mbps and had no issues.  Over the past year the verizon bumped up my connection speed to 13Mbps which all ran fine up into about 2 1/2 weeks ago. 

Some time during the End of December, My intenet access got really slow.  All speed tests resulted in Download speeds  from 1Mbps - 1.5 Mbps.   I think there was a really bad wind storm Dec 30 which is right around the time I had this slow down but can confir if this was the actual cause.

Not jumping the gun, I let the slowness run its course hoping the issue would resolve itself.  It did not and last week I finally called Verizon Tech support.   Spent 3 days with Tech support each evening running through the various test only to determine that the issue was not on my end.  They replaced my modem, Tech came out to my house to run a line test from outside.  All Test pointed to an issue on Verizon's side.  Local Tech even confirmed to me that other people in the area are havng the same problem.

Today I got a Voice message from their Local Network Support stating that my house was too far from the nearest sub station and that my speed would have to be reduce  and they closed my case.    HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE,  IT HAS BEEN WORKING FINE FOR OVER A YEAR AT THIS SPEED

I Did a speed test today with the reduced connection 10Mbps and my speed tests resulted in Download speeds from 1Mbps - 1.5 Mbps.   OOPs still Broken.

Just fought with Verizon support for an hour to re-open my case, Issue is still not resolved.  

Not sure how may Babylon DSL User are out there, but keep updating the post and let me know if your issues get resolved.

DaveC

0 Likes
toolbox8751

Just did complained to verizon and my speed was 2.5-2.8 mps  before to 1.5  after complianing.  I guess that is what i get for complaining

0 Likes
DSL Sudddenly 20% Of Expected Speed - Babylon, NY
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

i bought a new Toshiba laptop in December, to replace my 8 yo Dell (which I'm using right now as I continue setting up the Tosh). When I decided to download latest Epson drivers to the Tosh, the estimated time was beyond ludicrous. I ran speed tests... 3 different sites... and saw I was getting between 1.5 and 2.5 Mbps, far cry from the 10Mbps I'm supposed to be getting. Worse, I DID have that speed at one time - I'd checked after the speed upgrade was implemented. At first I blamed the unwanted Norton software on the new computer, but decided to check the speed on my Dell. Same results. Not the hardware or software (all totally different between the 2 laptops). On 12/22, my modem lost its mind... would not connect to internet... tech support (offshore of course) had me log into the modem and enter some data: problem solved - or at least I connected to the internet. After the terrible speed test results last Friday, I again called tech support... nice guy in Philippines, no solution... transferred to '2nd level'??? support in MA... no solution. 4+ hours total on the phone. Technician now to visit my home. After 40 years in IT (all software design/implementation), I do not believe in 'coincidence' with computer problems: 'Sandy' trashed a lot of infrastructure AND my modem lost its mind, and now I'm getting 20% of my previous (August time frame) speed. I cannot wait to see what the on-site tech finds...

0 Likes
Re: DSL Sudddenly 20% Of Expected Speed - Babylon, NY
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please post the Transceiver Statistics from your modem.

If you do not know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help:

#1 Please post the Transceiver Statistics from your modem.

If you do not know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

0 Likes
phillygirl2013
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just ordered dsl service.  I'm will be testing extensively to decide if I want to keep it or stay with my current provider.  Please come back and update when the tech visits.  I'm curious of the resolution.

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

{please keep your posts courteous}  Verizon technician showed up this morning, decided problem was the port at the CO to which I'm connected. The port change work order was submitted, I got an automated call an hour or two later that the work was completed. I ran another speed test: no change. I called Vz again... more time-wasting on phone to Philippines...still no answer. Now they want to simply swap out the modem, which had functioned at the rated 10Mbps when I first received that speed upgrade. If the modem is the problem, why didn't the in-house tech check its output rather than merely the cables into it? Is an online speed test the only way to check the actual internet data speed? Maddening!

0 Likes
BillB9
Enthusiast - Level 1

As you can see from the reply to the unknown respondent, the tech visit suggested my problem was with the central office port to which I'm connected. There seemed to be a technical difference - which I did not/ do not understand - between the speed the tech got with his gauge on the phone line and the speed test results (he was reading consistently 7Mbps, speed test once hit 5Mbps, but settled for an average of roughly 2). I'm once again talking to the Philippines, and so far have essentially four different stories - no one in agreement with any other - about what the problem is, what was supposed to be done, and what has been done. Pathetic.

0 Likes