Slow DSL Speed
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am paying for Enhanced High Speed Internet. The details page states it gives 3-7 mbps...not "up to 3-7" though there may be some hidden small print. I am getting 2.84-2.88 upload and .77 download, which is clearly less than the 3-7 details page states. I only get the 2.88 if I have turned all wifi off and reset the router.

I am doing the test on a computer that is connected by ethernet to an Actiontec router # GT784WNV.

The internet tech in India told me that 2.88 is the speed they give for the price I am paying. I am wondering if anyone is actually getting the speed they advertise?

(Interestingly, I believe I am the only person left in my building left with Verizon..everyone else went over to TimeWarner after the phone company took several months to fix a total outage about two years age!)

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Speed
MattFromPhilly
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same service and router as you. I recently did some work cleaning up the phone lines in my house. I increased my speed by 25%. I have had techs at my house who confirmed that I was getting a good clean signal at the box outside. Where the line came into my house, I just added a DSL splitter. It was this one. Got it off of ebay:

http://comtestnetworks.com/our-products/residential-dsl-splitters-cpe/universal-nid-splitter-01/

This filters the DSL out of the voice line, and filters the voice out of the DSL line (no more little filter dongles on each phone jack). I also connected my ActionTec router right there so the signal wasn't going through all the wiring throughout the house before it got to the modem. I get a good solid lock on the DSL line now (I used to get occasional dropouts), and my speed test went from about 3.6 to 3.7 up to 4.8 to 4.9. It was a bit of work and involved moving the router itself, but it was worth it.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Speed
TelecomAdvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are using wi-fi, speeds are known to drop in half. it is the nature of the beast. Check your wired, I bet you will see a significant increase. 

Adjusting channel in the modem may help too.