Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .

Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: DSL Extremely slow

Message 24 of 131
(14,754 Views)

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router: What is the brand and model of it?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet

Message 10 of 131
(14,919 Views)

How frustrating is this? I see this is a common post on this thread. I have contacted Verizon 5 times via phone, chatted with someone 7 times, I either get interrupted or I get told that they cannot find a problem.

They've conducted line tests and sent me a new modem.

I am so frustrated. I am thinking of going back to the old service provider I had, which was a cable company. This stuff SUCKS!

Christy

P.S. I keep getting asked by verizon if my modem is accepting 800 numbers incoming and outgoing? Well does anyone know if there is a general number you can dial to block "800" numbers in general? I thought I did this when I changed service plans, and I am wondering if that is what the issue is here. Since after I started having issues, I noticed that my wireless phones in the hosue stopped working and I had to replace it with a regular phone.

TIA

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet

Message 14 of 131
(14,875 Views)

#1 What is the model of that Westell modem of yours?

#2 Do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet

Message 26 of 131
(14,765 Views)

I feel your pain. For several weeks my internet was cutting out, when it was up it was extremely slow.

Tech support gets so frustrating, it takes 5 minutes of menu navigation, automated diagnostics, and attempts to get you to hang up before you even get put on hold for tech support.

The guy that responded before me likes to blanket the forum with that standard response. Keep that in mind when researching his response.

I ended up dropping Verizon and going back to cable...I'm very happy with that decision. Verizon will give you the run-around for a long time; they aren't willing to admit they have a problem.

Good luck! I'm not saying you will never find a solution, but for me, the frustration you have now didn't end.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL

Message 9 of 131
(15,106 Views)

Here I have been told time after time it's me that the internet is slow.

It's been that way for almost a year and I put up with it.

I run a gaming server in Chicago and in the beginning I could upload and download maps and cfg. files at 300mb/s.

Not now!!!!

I am lucky to get 1.28mb/s down and 0.69mb/s up with less than 80 in file transfer rate.

And yes I have tried to talk to support.  No luck!

I can't even get a repairman to clean the three connections from the main line to my house.

Is there a choke or filter on my line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL

Message 13 of 131
(15,034 Views)

#1Are you on Residental OR Business Service?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What is the brand and model of your router?

#4 What is your OS and Version ( for example Windows XP )?

#5 What software firewall is on your computer?

#6 What anti-malware program is on your computer?

This includeds: what anti-spyware program(s).

#7 What game server is it?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 16 of 131
(15,025 Views)

#1 Residental

#2 GT 704 Wg wireless DSL Modem/Router

#3 same as number 2

#4 Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2

#5 vista firewall is off

#6 Avast. but when doing server work it is turned off.

#7 GameServers.com , the server is located in Chicago

This is not on one computer.  I can turn on three other computers and they do the same thing. And no they are not all on at the same time.

Two have XP ops and two have vista 64 ops all the same speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 21 of 131
(14,941 Views)

Ok.

#1 On Residental service it is against the TOS to run a server on your home connection. As long as your server is not on a Verizon connection, then this is fine.

#2 I am just wondering. Why is your software firewall disabled?

It is nice that most routers will protect you from users from the net to connect you, but with most routers offer no protection against computers in the same LAN.

http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

Major ouch.

#3 Did you try trace route to this server at GameServers.com ?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/22/10-new-executables-and-20-old-commands-in-windows-vista/

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 25 of 131
(14,863 Views)

Wow!   Ok lets start again, I guess I did not word things right.

I rented a COD 5 server from gameserver.com. Not from home.

I don't need protection against computers in the lan that's why the firewall is down behind the router.

I download maps from a website and check them out .  Some times they are 24mg to 44mg files.

If it's what I want then I use a File Transfer Protocol program (FlashFXP) to send them to the server with other cfg. files.

Now here is the problem and I am seeing the same thing with other post. When I first connect to a web site or a server in the cod game or any other download period, the connect rate is good at first then get slower the longer it goes.

ex. ( the download starts at 300kbs. Within one to two seconds it drops to 200kbs. By the time of two min. the download is down to 40 to 60 kbs. ) This was not this way in the beginning.

Something has changed.  This is every day this happens.

Would the router need an update?  I can't do it . It has Verizon's firmware on it.

Is it possible that they thought I was using a peer to peer type thing and put a limit on me?

That's what it acts like. A download that should take two mins. is taking ten.

I did a ping test to Chicago and got  0% packets lost,   min. 39ms ,   max 89ms ,  avg 58ms

THANKS

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 29 of 131
(14,790 Views)

Ok.

#1 Since this is wireless router..

a) Is wireless enabled in the router?

b) Are any computers using wireless at your location?

c) What level of wireless security is the router set to?

#2 This is what I am seeing with trace route using pingplotter to gameserver.com

http://i48.tinypic.com/2iurqsk.jpg

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.