Switch Account

Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight

Message 1 of 131
(12,123 Views)

Began experiencing this problem after they switched DSL service from the second line to the primary line in my home.  Max download speed immediately slowed from 2.7 MBps to 1.7 MBps; however, speed begins slowing after 8 p.m. and after 10 p.m.. speed decreases to about 200 kbps; after midnight, it crawls to below 100 kbps as low as 64 kbps (only slightly faster than 56kbs dial up). 

With Cable, it used to slow in the afternoon/evenings but it sped up as network traffic decreased.  Here I have the exact opposite situation, where my DSL speed slows down as network traffic decreases. 

Everyone that I've spoken too at Verizon has never heard of such a problem and they have no idea what could possibly be causing this slow down when network traffic should be at its lowest.  Over the past month, they have opened five tickets to attempt to address this slow down problem but since the problem is primarily felt after midnight there isn't anyone around to trouble-shoot.   This is a real head scratcher and I'm not confident Verizon has the staff/personnel to figure this one out. 

Perhaps someone on this forum may have an idea of what could possibly be causing this slow down after midnight and why it speeds back up during the day?  Could the decrease in speed from 2.7 MBps to 1.7 MBps be correlated to the slow down problem?   I've done Google searches and come up empty on this one.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

** Same DSL equipment (modem and wireless router) for the past 3 years.  Same computers for the past 14 months....

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight

Message 2 of 131
(12,099 Views)

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 131
(12,095 Views)

Thanks for the response....It's the equipment that I've used for the past several years with no problem:

• Westell 2200
  • Belkin Wireless G+ (updated with the most current firmware)

Problem exists going directly from modem or through router.  Modem is in bridge mode, with router configured for PPPoE.

A friend of mine wonders if the outside wiring is temperature sensitive and perhaps impedance of the wires increases as the temperature drops thus decreasing DSL bandwidth.  Interesting hypothesis, but that doesn't seem to account for some of the very cold day time temps that are even colder than some of the night time temps.  Also, if my understanding of impedance is correct, as as temperature drops so too does impedance, so that would seem to make things even faster.

Regardless, this hypothesis doesn't address that there was perfect performance prior to the switch over of the DSL from the second phone line to the primary line. 

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 131
(12,091 Views)

#1 Since this a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on?

#2 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless security is it set to?

#3 What firmware is on that modem ( The White and Blue OR the Red and Black )?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 131
(12,080 Views)

#1 Since this a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on? (yes)

#2 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless security is it set to?  (WPA/WPA2)

#3 What firmware is on that modem ( The White and Blue OR the Red and Black )? (I don't know how to access the modem in bridge mode behind the router).

Question: Even if the router and modem are absolutely in need of updated firmware (I know the router is up to date, but the modem--who knows)...any theories why nearly 3 Mbps speed could be reached with this equipment (even with outdated firmware) prior to the line switchover last month and now the best that can be achieved is 1.7 Mbps?  And why would that same equipment result is sub 100 Kbps after midnight? 

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 131
(12,040 Views)

#1 What is the current LAN IP of the router?

#2 Do you have an ethenet Hub OR Ethernet "Standalone" Switch?

By Standalone switch, not one that is built into a router.

#3 Do you have any computers that have two NICs?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 11 of 131
(11,935 Views)

Update:

A tech came to my home and ran a number of tests.  He had a theory related to what could possibly be causing the slow down at night--the alarm system.  So he tested the speeds and ran his technician system test with the alarm system off and with it armed.  Test results came back exactly the same--no change alarm system on or off.

His conclusiion was that due to the distance from the office, 2,000 Kbps was about top speed range even though the modem reads 3.3M/0.864Mbps.  However, he felt the 5 year old modem should be replaced and had a combination router/modem (Westell 7500) sent out to my home andI installed it yesterday.  There was about roughly a 20% lift in top speed going from 1700 to 2000 Kbps. 

However, last night I began experiencing the drop in speed after 9:00 p.m..  The speed tests from Speakeasy, CNET, Speedtest all fell between 200 and 400 Kbps range.  If history is any indicator, it would have dropped to below 100Kbps after midnight but I couldn't stay up to perform the test.  My case it hotwired into Verizon Level 2 support and they took over my computer system last night and checked a number of settings to determine if there might be a configuation system with the modem/router or my CPU.  Everything was fine.

I've spoken to many, many people including Verizon techs, my more technically minded friends, and I've Googled this problem and no one has a theory on what may be causing the slow down during the least busiest time of the day/night.  To Verizon's credit, they're still monitoing the line and trying to determine a cause.  However, they haven't expressed a theory on what may be causing it. 

Definitely, a head-scratcher but I'll keep everyone posted on the disposition in case anyone ever has this problem again.  My guess is this problem is extremely rare but has happened before; it just hasn't been documented. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 131
(11,916 Views)

Update: Verizon Customer Service called today and indicated they have no idea what could be causing the night time speed decline. They want to try downgrading the speed from 3 MBps to 1.5 MBps.  I reluctantly agreed to give it a try since the night time performance makes Internet service totally unusable. 

I don't think this is going to be a worthwhile fix.  Even if it does diminish or eliminate the night time slow down, I will likely have to switch to a broadband provider who can deliver faster speeds.  More and more of the work I do requires accessing large file attachments and multimedia presentations.  Not to mention wasted time waiting for web pages that are becoming more and more content rich to load.  1.5 MBps is slow by today's standards, especially when you compare it to the base package speeds provided by Cable.  FIOS is not an option at this time and it is unknown when it might become avaialable in my area. 

I'll keep you posted on how things are progressing.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 27 of 131
(11,734 Views)

Update: They (Level 2 support) called me Sunday and told me they could not request the speed reduction to 1.5M; that I would have to do that.  I didn't know anything about this so I mentioned to please have a Supervisor call me back the following day and I'd consider whether or not to make this call to billing...seems an awful lot of of my time to fix "their problem."  

Anyway, Monday morning, I awaken and attempt to sign on only to learn my Internet is not available; I look at the DSL light on my modem and it is solid green.  My next action was to log-in to my modem and determine the connection status was "not connected" and the speed had been reduced to the modem to 1792 Kbps and 160 Kbps.  I turned the modem off and when I powered up the modem, I was connected to the Internet.  What do you know...I did not have to make a call to "Billing" to initiate the change of connection speed.  

The speed tests have been 800 to 1200 Kbps download and 99 to 150 Kbps upload.  I checked again last night and the speeds held steady.  So the trade-off is losing  2,000+ download and 750 Kbps upload speeds during the day in order to be able to use my DSL connection at night.    The most notable impact is that completing webforms (i.e. airline or hotel reservations, signup for newsletter, update activity in a CRM)  seems to take 3 or 4 times as long as before (my guess is not solely because download speed has been cut in half but because upload speed has been cut by 80%).  

I'm suppose to get a call today or I will call to update them that the problem of the unusable night time speed has been addressed.  However, if this is the best Verizon is willing to do; I will have to investigate other High Speed alternatives.  

I'll update this thread if there are any changes or if I notice someone posted a reply for my response.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 28 of 131
(11,723 Views)

I've experienced the same problem today.

About 4 weeks ago I was told I could now get DSL after about 4 years of trying.

I was supposed to be attached 2/18.

No go, the modem would not show any internet connection.

Fri 2/20 a tech checked it out.

There was a signal on my line at the connection vault 1/2 mile away but none at my pole.

Mon 2/22, 2 different techs came and fixed the problem.

Somewhere between the vault and my house there was something which blocked the signal.

I was now able to connect and got DL speeds of 700+ kbs and UL speeds of 120+ kbs.

Today I made changes to the modem to bridge so I could connect to my router.

I noticed that my modem status indicated DL/UL at 160/160 kbs.

I could connect through my router but speed was slow.

I reset everything and went back to the default modem setup.

Now my modem status indicates 32 or 64 kbs DL and 160 kbs UL.

I put the PC back on the router with the RR modem and the speed is good.

Needless to say, I am disappointed.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.