Re: Worst Internet Ever.
yellingdog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have DSL filters installed on all of the phones? There should be a filter on all of the phone jacks except the line going to your router. Not having filters could make your internet connection unuseable and make lots of interference on your phone line.

Re: Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 On Residental service it is against the TOS to run a server on your home connection. As long as your server is not on a Verizon connection, then this is fine.

#2 I am just wondering. Why is your software firewall disabled?

It is nice that most routers will protect you from users from the net to connect you, but with most routers offer no protection against computers in the same LAN.

http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

Major ouch.

#3 Did you try trace route to this server at GameServers.com ?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/22/10-new-executables-and-20-old-commands-in-windows-vista/

0 Likes
DSL Extremely slow
oldrower
Enthusiast - Level 1

My DSL service has become extremely slow recently. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the modem. No difference.

Have tried streaming downloads that too forever to buffer. Do those aborted down loads stay in system and slow down service?

How can I get DSL reasonable again?

Re: DSL slows to almost nothing every day
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mario wrote:

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

#1 Which firmware is the Westel using (the Blue and While OR the Red and Black ) ?

I'm not familiar with the term, firmware.  There is a yellow Ethernet cable attached to the Westel 6100.

Ok.

#1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway on your computer.

a) This means since you are on Windows XP, go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 With your web browser go to the default gateway and log-in as need be.

Then you will see what I mean..

0 Likes
Re: DSL Extremely slow
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router: What is the brand and model of it?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
Rptdoc

Wow!   Ok lets start again, I guess I did not word things right.

I rented a COD 5 server from gameserver.com. Not from home.

I don't need protection against computers in the lan that's why the firewall is down behind the router.

I download maps from a website and check them out .  Some times they are 24mg to 44mg files.

If it's what I want then I use a File Transfer Protocol program (FlashFXP) to send them to the server with other cfg. files.

Now here is the problem and I am seeing the same thing with other post. When I first connect to a web site or a server in the cod game or any other download period, the connect rate is good at first then get slower the longer it goes.

ex. ( the download starts at 300kbs. Within one to two seconds it drops to 200kbs. By the time of two min. the download is down to 40 to 60 kbs. ) This was not this way in the beginning.

Something has changed.  This is every day this happens.

Would the router need an update?  I can't do it . It has Verizon's firmware on it.

Is it possible that they thought I was using a peer to peer type thing and put a limit on me?

That's what it acts like. A download that should take two mins. is taking ten.

I did a ping test to Chicago and got  0% packets lost,   min. 39ms ,   max 89ms ,  avg 58ms

THANKS

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet
Kyle_Soule
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel your pain. For several weeks my internet was cutting out, when it was up it was extremely slow.

Tech support gets so frustrating, it takes 5 minutes of menu navigation, automated diagnostics, and attempts to get you to hang up before you even get put on hold for tech support.

The guy that responded before me likes to blanket the forum with that standard response. Keep that in mind when researching his response.

I ended up dropping Verizon and going back to cable...I'm very happy with that decision. Verizon will give you the run-around for a long time; they aren't willing to admit they have a problem.

Good luck! I'm not saying you will never find a solution, but for me, the frustration you have now didn't end.

0 Likes
Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
Pure_Energy

Update: They (Level 2 support) called me Sunday and told me they could not request the speed reduction to 1.5M; that I would have to do that.  I didn't know anything about this so I mentioned to please have a Supervisor call me back the following day and I'd consider whether or not to make this call to billing...seems an awful lot of of my time to fix "their problem."  

Anyway, Monday morning, I awaken and attempt to sign on only to learn my Internet is not available; I look at the DSL light on my modem and it is solid green.  My next action was to log-in to my modem and determine the connection status was "not connected" and the speed had been reduced to the modem to 1792 Kbps and 160 Kbps.  I turned the modem off and when I powered up the modem, I was connected to the Internet.  What do you know...I did not have to make a call to "Billing" to initiate the change of connection speed.  

The speed tests have been 800 to 1200 Kbps download and 99 to 150 Kbps upload.  I checked again last night and the speeds held steady.  So the trade-off is losing  2,000+ download and 750 Kbps upload speeds during the day in order to be able to use my DSL connection at night.    The most notable impact is that completing webforms (i.e. airline or hotel reservations, signup for newsletter, update activity in a CRM)  seems to take 3 or 4 times as long as before (my guess is not solely because download speed has been cut in half but because upload speed has been cut by 80%).  

I'm suppose to get a call today or I will call to update them that the problem of the unusable night time speed has been addressed.  However, if this is the best Verizon is willing to do; I will have to investigate other High Speed alternatives.  

I'll update this thread if there are any changes or if I notice someone posted a reply for my response.  

0 Likes
Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
tschap

I've experienced the same problem today.

About 4 weeks ago I was told I could now get DSL after about 4 years of trying.

I was supposed to be attached 2/18.

No go, the modem would not show any internet connection.

Fri 2/20 a tech checked it out.

There was a signal on my line at the connection vault 1/2 mile away but none at my pole.

Mon 2/22, 2 different techs came and fixed the problem.

Somewhere between the vault and my house there was something which blocked the signal.

I was now able to connect and got DL speeds of 700+ kbs and UL speeds of 120+ kbs.

Today I made changes to the modem to bridge so I could connect to my router.

I noticed that my modem status indicated DL/UL at 160/160 kbs.

I could connect through my router but speed was slow.

I reset everything and went back to the default modem setup.

Now my modem status indicates 32 or 64 kbs DL and 160 kbs UL.

I put the PC back on the router with the RR modem and the speed is good.

Needless to say, I am disappointed.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Since this is wireless router..

a) Is wireless enabled in the router?

b) Are any computers using wireless at your location?

c) What level of wireless security is the router set to?

#2 This is what I am seeing with trace route using pingplotter to gameserver.com

http://i48.tinypic.com/2iurqsk.jpg

0 Likes