Speed drops during the day, speeds up at night
Prtssguy

My internet speeds drop to 643 Kbps to 800 Kbps during the day, and shoot up to the full 300+ during the night. I called tech support and they ran a line test twice now, showing that there is no problem and suggested a 24hr line test which I'm waiting for now. This last time, it was also mentioned that I can get speeds of "up to 3 Mbps" and that there is such a thing called congestion when living in aparment buildings, which would not reflect on the line tests at all anyway. So if what I'm hearing is true, customers living in apartments are basically "sharing" the line, and to be getting the speeds that I pay for the other people must stop using the connection?

I notice my speeds were varying at different times when I reconnected the DSL service. I had Verizon DSL for years and everything was fine, I was getting the full speed all the time. Then late last year I disconnected service because I was not in a contract (expired after renewing twice) and I was out of work. I got a job a week after I disconnected the DSL service and called up Verizon to order the service again, they sent me a new model a Westel 6100G and since then is when I noticed my speeds were terrible during the day.

This is from the Verizon test site. I ran it several times while on the phone with tech support, and he told me the reason for the speeds being so low was that there were many people testing their connection using the connection server.

Download speed test comparison

Connection Type
Connection Speed

Your Speed Result

643 Kbps

This is from the Verizon Modem site
GO!

Your Modem is Ready for Internet Access

<script type="text/javascript">

</script>       Broadband Connection     Internet Status:

</script>   DSL Link:

Connected

Speed(Down/Up)

3360 Kbps / 864 Kbps

Connection Type:

Routed Bridge

</script>   IP Address:

XX.XXX.XX.XXX

He also had me check the CPU usage in the task manager, which was from 0% to 2% at the time.

0 Likes
Re: Download Speed: Terribly Slow
jenstar131
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem in Phila

I've got a 55k download speed

I'm still waiting to hear back from customer service

they are making cavalier telephone look better

and I've been with Verizon for 20 years

0 Likes
Re: Speed drops during the day, speeds up at night
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router that you could connected between this modem and your computer?

0 Likes
Prtssguy

I have a router and ethernet cables?

0 Likes
Re: DSL feels like Dial-up
Markitzero

Take this as a opinion

From what I know If your phone lines are above ground with winter storms if it enough to frezze stuff there could have been some damage to the phone line's shielding and the sun could mess with the DSL Frequancy in the line. For example at a house were I use to live at on another Phone company "AT&T" the line coming off of the pole was so old back when they used cloth as a insloater the DSL did work but during the day we got 368 Kbps down and 368 up but at night when we restarted the DSL modem and got 768 Kbps down and 368Kbps up and we were paying for 1.5Mbps service.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 If it is a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on?

#3 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless securty is it set to?

0 Likes
Re: High Speed Internet (DSL) Slow Internet Access Problem
Mata

Just tried to download a large file from Microsoft Downloads at 1:50 PM in NYC and got speeds of from 0 - 19.7 KB. At least 10 seconds were at 0; the average was about 130 B. This is terrible. We're paying for Internet access, not just DSL. Can someone respond? We can't email tech support, and I don't feel like proving to a phone tech that it's not my computer or modem. This is happening to my husband on another computer (same network)  and to my neighbor who hs a completely different setup.

Thanks, Mata

0 Likes
Re: High Speed Internet (DSL) Slow Internet Access Problem
mdkarr

About a month ago we also had issues. I called them and spent the long amount of time with them that we all do whenever we call in for help. The end result for us was that their facility had hardware issues and were working on it. It took three sdays before we had reliable internet back. Even then, there were some drop out. Today, again, we are having really slow connection issues. We are down to 100mbps and timeouts all the time with our browsers. I cannot conduct a small business using my phone all the time. This is unacceptable. This is what I get, I guess, for listening to my husband and switching to the less expensive internet service. "You get what you pay for". There needs to be a law that says if a company cannot provide you what is promised at all times, you get a credit back for the time they didn't fulfill their promise and they get fined by the government enforcing the law. That would definitely help our country get out of debt pretty quickly - don't you think?

0 Likes
HotCactusPepper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called Verizon again today for a billing issue. I know this is off topic, but maybe this is also happening to you.

Apparently some kind of "technical" glitch keeps adding Backup and Security Essentials, a $11 a month charge, to my account.  I was told is happening to a lot of people and they're having trouble processing all of the credits.  If you don't call in and cancel it you'll be charged, check your bill.  Make sure to ask for a refund for the whole amount and not a pro-rated credit.

...then I asked about the slowness.

I was told that the local DSL loop cannot handle the 7.1 Mbps service I was sold.  I was told a downgrade to 5 Mbps would fix the problem.  But when the tech support guy connected to billing he was told that the account was already downgraded to 5 Mbps.  Since it was just done today I have to give the account 6 hours to stabilize before it can be escalated.  Hopefully I won't have to call back tomorrow.

0 Likes
HotCactusPepper
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning the DSL was still slow and it remained slow this evening so I called Tech Support back to escalate the issue, nearly 24 hours of "stabilization" should be adequate.  But instead of escalating the problem, the tech support lady today said I needed a "profile" change.  She was unable to satisfactorily explain what this entailed.  But whatever, right?  She changed my profile and told me she'd need to run a 24 hour line test.  If at the end of the 24 hour test the connection was still slow then an autodialer will call me and inform me that I need a technician to visit my house.  We'll see how this goes.

I am a little annoyed that all of these problems started right after I canceled the $6 a month "inside wire maintenance" "feature" added to my account at initiation with my express consent.   Should a tech come out and find fault with my inside wiring then the labor cost is ~$110 an hour.  I should hope this unfortunate coincidence is just that.

0 Likes