Re: Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .
mikitty

I didn't have time to read through all of the previous forum posts but I am having similar slow DSL speeds at night.  I am signed up for the 7.1 mbps download speeds and i barely get 1mpbs if I'm lucky between the periods of around 2pm all the way up till 10pm. I can barely even stream youtube during those periods. The weird thing is that I am fine during the morning hours and I get nearly full speeds.

I have called tech support on multiple occassions only to have then tell me that everything seems okay on their end, reboot the modem, reboot my pc, etc. I'm getting tired of dealing with the Verizon Techs. My modem actually crapped out on me recently so they sent me a new one but I am still facing the same problems, even with a brand new modem/router combo.

The new modem/router is an: Actiontec GT704WGB

I usually have one desktop connected to the gateway via ethernet cable and one notebook that connects occassionally.

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Mata

OK, I see you're moving the messages around. Hope that helps us get better Internet connections!

Why is it that every time someone complains abouut the slow downloads and dropped connections, you (our only email access to tech support),  ask what our router and modem models are, and when we give you that info, plus loads of other data, you don't respond? The query about the modem and routers are equal to saying "we're not going to admit what the probllem is, so get frustrated ad go away." It's not our equipment. It's yours. What's the problem with Internet access?

--Mata

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mikitty wrote:

I am signed up for the 7.1 mbps download speeds and i barely get 1mpbs if I'm lucky between the periods of around 2pm all the way up till 10pm. I can barely even stream youtube during those periods. The weird thing is that I am fine during the morning hours and I get nearly full speeds.

I have called tech support on multiple occassions only to have then tell me that everything seems okay on their end, reboot the modem, reboot my pc, etc. I'm getting tired of dealing with the Verizon Techs. My modem actually crapped out on me recently so they sent me a new one but I am still facing the same problems, even with a brand new modem/router combo.

The new modem/router is an: Actiontec GT704WGB

I usually have one desktop connected to the gateway via ethernet cable and one notebook that connects occassionally.

Any help will be appreciated.

#1 Correct me if I am wrong:

Wireless in this router is turned on?

#2 If that is correct, what level of wireless security is the router set to use ( For example, WEP/WPA ) ?

0 Likes
Re: Speed drops during the day, speeds up at night
Prtssguy

Ok.

#1 What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

Linksys WRT54GS v7.0

#2 If it is a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on?

Yes

#3 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless securty is it set to?

WEP 256

0 Likes
Extremely Slow DSL
billytran54

My DSL's speeds are very fustrating. My download speed is 50-80 kbps and my upload speed is around 15 kbps. Whenever a file is being uploaded the whole internet freezes up. Please help. Modem model: Westell 6100

0 Likes
mikitty

yes wireless is turned on with the default protection that came with it (WEP 64). If you are asking to imply that someone might have cracked my WEP key and is accesing my internet, I can assure you i constantly check (even more so during slow preiods) to see that the only two computers ever connected are my desktop and notebook pc. I amquite certain this is not the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To:mikitty and Prtssguy

For testing reasons:

#1 Try connecting your computer wired to the router.

#2 Turn off wireless in the router.

Does the issue still happen OR does that fix it?

This will help tell if it is a wireless issue for sure OR something else......

0 Likes
Re: Extremely Slow DSL
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@billytran54 wrote:

My DSL's speeds are very fustrating. My download speed is 50-80 kbps and my upload speed is around 15 kbps. Whenever a file is being uploaded the whole internet freezes up. Please help. Modem model: Westell 6100

#1 If there is a device between your modem and your computer, please tell what the brand and model of that other device is.

#2 Is the Westell the White and Blue one OR the Red And Black one?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

#4 What anti-virus program is on your computer?

0 Likes
mikitty

@dslr595148 wrote:

For testing reasons:

Disabling the wireless does not help at all. My desktop is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable. I just ran the verizon speed test and got a download speed of 1.14 Mbps (keep in mind I am paying for the 7.1 mpbs). This happens every night and only at night.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mikitty wrote:

@dslr595148 wrote:

For testing reasons:

Disabling the wireless does not help at all. My desktop is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable. I just ran the verizon speed test and got a download speed of 1.14 Mbps (keep in mind I am paying for the 7.1 mpbs). This happens every night and only at night.

Ok, Can you post up your modem Transceiver Statistics? One of these links should work.

»192.168.1.1/transtat.html (Westell)
»192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webcm?getpag···tus.html (ActionTec)
»192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp (Westell)

0 Likes