Re: My DSL become unstable since yesterday!
MEMDB
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Internet has been doing the same thing, like from time to time it will just drop or the connection will be slow. Good thing I'm not the only one with problems.

0 Likes
Re: My DSL become unstable since yesterday!
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 If you did not follow http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

a) Log-in to the Westell

b) In it, go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats

c) Post the info that is there.

#2 Is wireless on in the Linksys?

#3 If wireless is on in the Linksys, did you setup wireless security?

0 Likes
Slow connection speeds.
roegner1030
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Verizon Power Plan (3mbps / 768k upload) and I have been experiencing some slow speeds.  Downloads will not go above 100kbps, and speed tests show fluxuations from 1mbps to 1.5mbps.  Occasionally, and I stress the word occasionally, I will have a spike up to 2.7ish, but that is rare.  Since I am paying for 3mpbs I would very much like to get that amount.  Heck, I'm paying for it right?

Anyway, I just built a new rig:  AMD Phenom II 965 overclocked to 4ghz, 4gigs ddr3 ram, asus m4a89gtd pro mobo.  It is definitely not a problem on my end, unless the router would be having some issues, or I have it configured wrong?

My router is: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=567   the DLink ADSL2/2+ Modem With Wireless Router.

I have all the filters place on the phone lines, and no filter between the router and phone jack there.

Whats the deal?

0 Likes
Re: Slow connection speeds.
nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

You shouldn't have a filter on the line to the router.

0 Likes
Re: Slow connection speeds.
roegner1030
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disregard that as I do not have a filter between the router and the phone jack.  That was my mistake.  I was thinking of the DVR box next to it heh.  Sorry.

Slow download and upload speeds.
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Verizon High Speed DSL, and starting yesterday the upload and download speeds dropped to 3Kbits per second (yes that is K not M).  This happens on my 2 windows 7 systems and my XP system, they perform the same.  I checked the connection speed through the westell 2200 router, but it claims I am getting 3.6Mbits download and 864Kbits upload.  I did upgrade my belken wireless router a week ago, but this problem happened a few days later.  I have called Verizon, they could not offer help and found no problems.  I have checked the system configuration but cannot find an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
DSL Slowdown after Fios comes to town
GJim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fios came to town in the last six months.  

Being out of work it did not seem like a good time to add additional expenses by upgrading.  However, I have noticed that over the last six months, my previously mostly trouble free DSL connection has now began to crawl or hang for periods of time (I cannot even check bandwidth from any site; Latency errors often come up now), even during the day time when all the neighborhood kids are in school.  Plus the sales people assured me that I was the last in the neighborhood to get Fios Smiley Wink, which should mean that I get better speed (Smiley Surprised).  

I read an article about Verizon basically abandoning DSL upgrades since the late 90's in favor of Fios.  If this is so, either the DSL that Verizon keeps asking me to pay for is falling apart and they won't admit it or my speed is being slowed to get me to help pay for their investment in Fios.  

I am open to other explanations and help.  But after reading the many, many posts about Slow Connections I do not hold much hope.

Am I alone or have others in Fios zones seen their DSL speed become unreliable?

Re: DSL Slowdown after Fios comes to town
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gjim, Read my post from 8:44 today.  Are your speeds that slow?  Verizon just dug up for FIOS over the last month, and we are suppose to be able to get it next month or so.  I am wondering if there is some similar issue?

0 Likes
GJim
Enthusiast - Level 2

outthedoor, sounds similar to my experience.  

I first contacted Support after they began digging and for a time speeds and hangs disappeared.  Then they had a big sales push in the area (I lost count of the phone calls and had at least 4 sales persons at my door) to get us all onto Fios.  It was after this push that the inconsistency became such a part of life that I now leave a bandwidth test page open in my browser all the time.

outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

That does seem oddly related.

I hate to be cynical, but I wonder if once FIOS is installed they just stop worrying about DSL, and for that matter I wonder what effect the FIOS infrastructure has on DSL.  Maybe the two networks are not physically related, but it seems the installation of one affects the other.  A interesting side note, one of my neighbors had her phone line cut, it took 4 days to repair.  So you have 40 guys and gals laying fiber while the customer waits for the one to repair the line they dug up by accident.  I wonder what else got severed during the job... OK, that was kind of rough on my part, but it is hard when you are paying for something and then you seem to get so little service.