Switch Account

Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .

Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .

Moderator Moderator
Message 49 of 131
(39,642 Views)

Please post any issues you are having with slow DSL speeds in this thread in order to get them addressed.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer that solved your issue as the accepted solution.

130 REPLIES 130
Contributor YShkullaku
Contributor
Message 7 of 131
(40,107 Views)

The topic name says it,

VERIZON OFFERS THE WORST HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE.

I run a business online and my internet crashed every 10 minutes causing me to reboot modem and wait a while It's been doing this ever since I got it, I called to ask whether they can help me and all Verizon Reps hang the phone up on me.

I can also barely hear through my phone.

This is the worst service I've experienced and I'll be making changes soon. I do not recommend High Speed for Verizon. It's awful and will cause you to lose money if you run a business online.

Goodbye

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 8 of 131
(40,073 Views)

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor yellingdog
Contributor
Message 20 of 131
(39,937 Views)

Do you have DSL filters installed on all of the phones? There should be a filter on all of the phone jacks except the line going to your router. Not having filters could make your internet connection unuseable and make lots of interference on your phone line.

Contributor Mario
Contributor
Message 12 of 131
(40,116 Views)

Help!

I've put up with this problem for well over a year. Tech support has been no help.  My DSL speed slows down/stalls everyday from around 4 PM to 12 Midnight.  I'm connected to the internet but there is nothing else. The speed is fine during other times. The modem is Model 6100. I've tried everything a novice can do.  Right now, I've disconnected all my phones and I'm just using one phone and the DSL connection.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for your help

Mario

Platinum Contributor III
Message 15 of 131
(40,098 Views)

#1 Which firmware is the Westel using (the Blue and While OR the Red and Black ) ?

#2 Do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

#4 What other security software is on your computer ( Anti-virus, anti-spyware )?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor Mario
Contributor
Message 18 of 131
(40,065 Views)

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

#1 Which firmware is the Westel using (the Blue and While OR the Red and Black ) ?

I'm not familiar with the term, firmware.  There is a yellow Ethernet cable attached to the Westel 6100.

#2 Do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

No router.  Just have one PC connected to standard phone jack.

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

Windows, XP

#4 What other security software is on your computer ( Anti-virus, anti-spyware )?

MacAfee and Windows Defender.  I put Windows defender on well after the problems started.

Mario

PS I will not be able to respond until Sunday.

Copper Contributor Pure_Energy
Copper Contributor
Message 19 of 131
(40,064 Views)

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat.  My speed crawls to a snails pace in the evening.  At about  6 p.m. my upload speed surpasses my download speed.  By 9 p.m. my download is near 100 Kbps while upload is relatively fast in the 650 Kbps range. 

Verizon upgraded my modem and it hasn't  had a significant effect.  They're plan is to try slowing down the speed from 3 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps.  That will slow me down during the day (I've surpasses 2 Mbps with the new modem) but the hope is it will speed up the service available during the night.  The techs have expressed no theories on what might be causing the slow down.  They only mention that I'm far from the "central office."  However, I haven't had this problem until recently and have had great service up until they did a line switch about a month ago. 

My wife mentioned to me today that my neighbor sent out an email blast notifying everyone her email had changed from verizon to comcast.  I'm going to follow-up with her to determine if they were having the same slowing of Internet speed.

I don't know where you live, but I live in NJ.  Just want you to know you're not the only one and if you're like me don't get your hopes up that a few tweaks to your modem or replacing  your modem is going to remedy the situation. 

Platinum Contributor III
Message 23 of 131
(39,935 Views)

@Mario wrote:

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

I'm not familiar with the term, firmware.  There is a yellow Ethernet cable attached to the Westel 6100.

Ok.

#1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway on your computer.

a) This means since you are on Windows XP, go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 With your web browser go to the default gateway and log-in as need be.

Then you will see what I mean..

Contributor oldrower
Contributor
Message 22 of 131
(39,882 Views)

My DSL service has become extremely slow recently. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the modem. No difference.

Have tried streaming downloads that too forever to buffer. Do those aborted down loads stay in system and slow down service?

How can I get DSL reasonable again?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.