Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Please post any issues you are having with slow DSL speeds in this thread in order to get them addressed.

0 Likes
Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
Pure_Energy

Began experiencing this problem after they switched DSL service from the second line to the primary line in my home.  Max download speed immediately slowed from 2.7 MBps to 1.7 MBps; however, speed begins slowing after 8 p.m. and after 10 p.m.. speed decreases to about 200 kbps; after midnight, it crawls to below 100 kbps as low as 64 kbps (only slightly faster than 56kbs dial up). 

With Cable, it used to slow in the afternoon/evenings but it sped up as network traffic decreased.  Here I have the exact opposite situation, where my DSL speed slows down as network traffic decreases. 

Everyone that I've spoken too at Verizon has never heard of such a problem and they have no idea what could possibly be causing this slow down when network traffic should be at its lowest.  Over the past month, they have opened five tickets to attempt to address this slow down problem but since the problem is primarily felt after midnight there isn't anyone around to trouble-shoot.   This is a real head scratcher and I'm not confident Verizon has the staff/personnel to figure this one out. 

Perhaps someone on this forum may have an idea of what could possibly be causing this slow down after midnight and why it speeds back up during the day?  Could the decrease in speed from 2.7 MBps to 1.7 MBps be correlated to the slow down problem?   I've done Google searches and come up empty on this one.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

** Same DSL equipment (modem and wireless router) for the past 3 years.  Same computers for the past 14 months....

0 Likes
Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
Pure_Energy

Thanks for the response....It's the equipment that I've used for the past several years with no problem:

• Westell 2200
  • Belkin Wireless G+ (updated with the most current firmware)

Problem exists going directly from modem or through router.  Modem is in bridge mode, with router configured for PPPoE.

A friend of mine wonders if the outside wiring is temperature sensitive and perhaps impedance of the wires increases as the temperature drops thus decreasing DSL bandwidth.  Interesting hypothesis, but that doesn't seem to account for some of the very cold day time temps that are even colder than some of the night time temps.  Also, if my understanding of impedance is correct, as as temperature drops so too does impedance, so that would seem to make things even faster.

Regardless, this hypothesis doesn't address that there was perfect performance prior to the switch over of the DSL from the second phone line to the primary line. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Since this a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on?

#2 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless security is it set to?

#3 What firmware is on that modem ( The White and Blue OR the Red and Black )?

0 Likes
Pure_Energy

#1 Since this a wireless router, is wireless in the router turned on? (yes)

#2 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless security is it set to?  (WPA/WPA2)

#3 What firmware is on that modem ( The White and Blue OR the Red and Black )? (I don't know how to access the modem in bridge mode behind the router).

Question: Even if the router and modem are absolutely in need of updated firmware (I know the router is up to date, but the modem--who knows)...any theories why nearly 3 Mbps speed could be reached with this equipment (even with outdated firmware) prior to the line switchover last month and now the best that can be achieved is 1.7 Mbps?  And why would that same equipment result is sub 100 Kbps after midnight? 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the current LAN IP of the router?

#2 Do you have an ethenet Hub OR Ethernet "Standalone" Switch?

By Standalone switch, not one that is built into a router.

#3 Do you have any computers that have two NICs?

0 Likes
Worst Internet Ever.
YShkullaku
Enthusiast - Level 1

The topic name says it,

VERIZON OFFERS THE WORST HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE.

I run a business online and my internet crashed every 10 minutes causing me to reboot modem and wait a while It's been doing this ever since I got it, I called to ask whether they can help me and all Verizon Reps hang the phone up on me.

I can also barely hear through my phone.

This is the worst service I've experienced and I'll be making changes soon. I do not recommend High Speed for Verizon. It's awful and will cause you to lose money if you run a business online.

Goodbye

Re: Worst Internet Ever.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL
Rptdoc

Here I have been told time after time it's me that the internet is slow.

It's been that way for almost a year and I put up with it.

I run a gaming server in Chicago and in the beginning I could upload and download maps and cfg. files at 300mb/s.

Not now!!!!

I am lucky to get 1.28mb/s down and 0.69mb/s up with less than 80 in file transfer rate.

And yes I have tried to talk to support.  No luck!

I can't even get a repairman to clean the three connections from the main line to my house.

Is there a choke or filter on my line?

Thanks

0 Likes