Slow DSL Speeds
ABN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the past few days I've had extremely slow dsl speeds with no apparent reason.  Checking all the hardware, cables, etc. Yielded no results.  Restarting the router/modem (Westell 7500) didn't help.  The line is supposed to be 3360/864 but the speed tests are showing 569/716 pretty consistantly from both laptops and the one desktop.  Help!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Speeds
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserG...

#1 On your computer check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers.

For example if you are on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Go the Default Gateway listed, and try to log-in.

#3 In the modem combo go to Wireless Settings -> Wireless Status.

#4 Is Wireless in the router enabled?

#5 If so:

a) Is Wireless Security enabled?

b) And what level of Wireless Security is it set to?

#6 In the modem combo go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transceiver Statistics 

#7 Post that info there in there, here.

0 Likes
ABN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

All worthy things to try if it was a new install, but for a 3 year old install that's been working fine it isn't.  Anyways, my lan is setup fine as well as my windows, mac, and linux clients.  Wireless is locked down as much WAP2 will provide.  

The transreceiver info is as follows:

Transceiver Revision    A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code          4D54
Line Mode               ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path               INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information        Down Stream Path    Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)          3360                864
Margin (dB)                    19.0                11.0
Line Attenuation (dB)          43.0                25.0
Transmit Power (dBm)           9.1                 11.9

0 Likes
BillMV

If you're in an area without FIOS availabilty, I'd suggest that you consider switching to cable unless you have a high tolerance for bad service.  I'm in an area without FIOS and my Verizon DSL ran 50-100/300-500 for months.  I'm away a lot but I have a slingbox in the house so I can tell how badly it's running.  They came out - they ripped out my structed wiring system so they could direct connect the modem to the NIB - all to no avail.  When they refused to fix the problem because I wasn't home, I just cancelled the service.

My theory is that Verizon wants to lose so much business in these areas where they can't justify FIOS because of sparse residential premises, that they're deliberately delivering horrible service so that people cancel everything and they can make a case to the local DPUC to withdraw from the area.

It's either that or they've just become a completely incompetent provider which I find hard to believe given their history in the business.  

0 Likes
ABN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly this is the first real problem I've had with verizon's dsl since I switched to the 3M/768 plan under the newer atm dsl.  For years I had 768/128 under the old dslam based dsl and rarely had issues then.  Can't say I've any real issues with verizon except for the occational outage.  FIOS is available but honestly it's overkill for what my usage is.  Cable here is a non-option.  Time Warner....need I say more? 

0 Likes
ABN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting turn of events.  I was able to be home and check speeds durring the day and look what's happened:

Friday 24-Dec 2010, 09:17:40 AM

Download Speed: 2891 kbps (361.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 728 kbps (91 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm going to contine checking to see if speeds drop off later in the day or maybe "they" fixed something.  We'll see.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
If your slow-down continues despite the normal speeds during the every morning/afternoon hours, it's more than likely Congestion on Verizon's end. If this is the case, see if someone will move you either to a new edge router, or put in a ticket to the CO to fix the congestion issue. If you can't get anywhere with some possible help around here or by calling Verizon, I strongly suggest the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports.com . They are well experienced with dealing with such issues and they generally resolve these issues.