Slow DSL even after upgrade
kartbrown

I have had Verizon DSL since August 2005.  The service was the 768k service.  Just recently I got some information about upgrading so I decided to upgrade to the 3m service. 

My new service ready date was 2-12-2009.  So I started checking my current speed at speedtest.net before my service ready date to see where I was at . I was running in the 740s.  I thought that this was good as I was getting pretty close to what I was paying for. 

Well, my speed has not improved. Today, 2-21-09, it is still at 747/114.  This is discouraging. 

Should I have received a new modem with the faster service?  This is my original modem, is it too outdated?  The phone line to the phone jack comes straight from the phone line box out back, it is not spliced anywhere.  I would appreciate some help!  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL even after upgrade
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What is the brand and model of this dsl modem?

What is the brand and model of your router ( provided you have a router )?
0 Likes
kartbrown
I have a Westell dsl Router.  I believe model #6100, but the full model # from the side is C90-610015-06  REV: E    ASSEMBLED IN THE USA (This is a miracle) 11/2005.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Thank you.

I am not sure but I would think you need to post the modem status.

Here is a clue/hint in the right direction, in case you do not know..

#1 With your web browser go the LAN IP of the modem combo.

By default that IP address should be 192.168.1.1

#2 Then log-in as need be.

#3 I see a portforwarding guide for that router.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/C90-610015-06/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

#4 By looking at the guide there is area labeled "trouble shooting"

If I were looking for modem status, I would look it in the "trouble shooting" area..

--

Some important notes about the password:

#1 I have setup a Westell 6100 router, for someone at their house. The default user name and password on "manual setup" is:

admin

#2 By "setup" I mean: If the router is not setup, I am not going anywhere on the net.

b) And by "manual setup", this means I did not use the CD that came with the router.

#3 During "manual setup" the default password is changed..

#4 I can not say the password is changed if you use the automatic setup (CD).
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Even though your service ready date has passed, the service upgrade may not have taken place. I would try to reset the DSL modem, and if that does not help, call Verizon and they can do a line test. I had the same issue when my DSL went for 768 to 1.5. It only took a phone call to tech support and a few fixes on their end and it got all better. That was a few years back, and I am lucky to have fiber now. If you have paid for the upgrade and it was not made, perhaps you can ask for a break on your bill. Probably not worth the hassle though.
Message Edited by prisaz on 02-26-2009 02:38 PM
0 Likes