Slow DSL in evenings
madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I'm getting some extremely slow download speeds with my Verizon DSL during afternoons and evenings.  I'm supposed to get 768 kbps, but typically I'm getting in the neighborhood of 50--100 kbps during those times. Between 7 and 10 PM, quite frequently I can't even get the dsl test sites I use to load---it will sit and chug for minutes at a time.  In fact, I often can't do much of anything on the internet during that interval.

It works fine in the mornings however.  I get right around 768 kbps download speeds then.

So I called tech support, and they claim my line is fine.  They even ran a 24-hour test on it, and presumably found no problems.  I received a robo-call today saying the problem had been "resolved".  I don't think anything has been changed, though---it's still slow as molasses every evening.

Given the fact that the slowness always occurs during what I assume are peak usage times, I'm guessing that it's some sort of congestion problem.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL in evenings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. I have a Westell Model 6100 modem/router.  I don't use any other routers.  I just run the firewall that comes with Windows XP SP2.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If your Westell 6100 is the red and black firmware

For example as addressed on http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats, and post that info.

#2 In the router, go to Advanced -> UPnP.

#3 If that feature is turned on, please turn that off.

#4 Is Wireless in the modem combo (modem and router all-in-one) enabled?

#5 If so, any wireless security set? For example, WEP/WPA.

#6 Does this happen at certain times with all server(s)/website(s) or only certain server(s)/website(s)?

0 Likes
madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

#!:  My modem does indeed have the red and black firmware.  Here are the Transciever Stats:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision:     7.2.3.0      
Vendor ID Code:              4      
Line Mode:                        G.DMT Mode      
Data Path:                         Interleaved      

Transceiver Information        Downstream Path     Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)         864                                160
Margin (dB)                              22.0                               31.0
Line Attenuation (dB)             36.5                               22.5
Transmit Power (dBm)          5.2                                 11.1

#2--3:  The UPnP is currently turned off.

#4--5:  No to both, AFAIK.  I don't see any way to enable wireless on this modem, or to turn on any wireless security.  I've never tried using wireless on this computer (it's about 6 years old, and I don't even think it has the required hardware). 

About a month ago, my neighbor in the apt complex did approach me offering to share the cost of a wireless connection if I already had one.  Heh.  I told him I didn't have wireless, though.

#6:  The slowing seems to happen with all websites that I use---my school email, various blogs, youtube.  I've been checking my speeds with speedtest.net, and the highest download speed I've gotten between 6 and 9 PM is 0.38 Mbps.  About 0.10--0.15 is more typical.  I've run the test with several different servers in my general region.

Thanks again for the assistance.

0 Likes
madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:  I think the problem is solved now.  My modem firewall was completely turned off.  After resetting it to the medium security setting, I'm getting speeds in the range of 0.50 to 0.60 Mbps, much better than before.  Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@madsen wrote:

#1:  My modem does indeed have the red and black firmware.

#4--5:  No to both, AFAIK.  I don't see any way to enable wireless on this modem, or to turn on any wireless security.  I've never tried using wireless on this computer (it's about 6 years old, and I don't even think it has the required hardware). 

By looking at the one of sample screen(s) that are provided over there for that firmware, the router has the following options on top: Main, Wireless, My Network, Firewall Settings, Advanced, and System Monitoring.

The Wireless Settings, I would think would be at Wireless.

This applies that your router, does not have only: Main, My Network, Firewall Settings, Advanced, and System Monitoring.

--

As need be, if you do not understans what you see in Wireless - Show a screen shot of that area.

madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks---the model 6100, which I have, doesn't have the "wireless" icon, as the dslreports page indicates just below the screenshot.  I've clicked around the various menus, and haven't seen anything pertaining to wireless settings. 

And I may have spoken too soon about the issue being solved, unfortunately.  Later last night and also this afternoon, speeds are dropping as before. 

Thanks for the continued help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you are not on FIOS, I wonder if your issue is somehow releated to this other thread

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/High-latency-and-poor-speed-tests-lately/td-p/95417

madsen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'm going to read through that thread and see what I can pick up.  FWIW, I just tried using tracert on google.com, verizon.net, etc, and the only "hop" that shows up is my dsl router; the rest time out.  I can't ping those sites either, I just get a time out message. 

0 Likes