Slow DSL, seems to be slower recently?
scotty2260

My DSL seems to be getting slower all the time, it used to be very fast. Here are my modem stats.image

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL, seems to be slower recently?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you have a noise issue on your line. If you have a landline, is any static present?

0 Likes
scotty2260

Yes our landline can be very staticky at times

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In that case, let's get the Static issue resolved first .The next time your voice service has static, you will want to head to where your NID is with a landline phone (cordless isn't suggested here; you are best with a phone that can be powered off the line) and check for static at the NID. This will help you get around some of the checks Verizon will ask you to go when you call in a voice repair.

See this information on what a NID is: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

If you have a NID without a test jack, or are unwilling to wire up a phone at the NID,disconnecting your home in the process for the sake of testing, call Verizon voice repair out.

I recommend calling voice repair from a mobile phone or another line. This allows the Verizon rep to run an MLT test against the line right away. 

Some other things to note too, while you consider troubleshooting options. Having DSL on the line can agitate the voice service too, given a few scenarios. First off, if the static on the line disappears while the DSL modem is turned off, this could suggest to me a wiring problem somewhere. This could be a high resistance fault somewhere on the line. Another could be filters. If devices are improperly filtered (filters installed backwards, device comes before a filter), these devices will also cause static and DSL disconnections, especially while in use. Verizon can help to resolve this for you by installing a Home Run. In cases of trouble, they can usually install this for free making use of existing wiring in your home. I've not been made aware of charges for these sort of issues unless they fall under inside wire maintenance. In some more rare cases, I've had times where the modem itself, was to blame for static. Last August, I had the DSL modem on my Frontier DSL connection go belly up after lightning hit a tree on my lawn. The modem still appeared to be functioning fine as a router, but when it tried to sync, it inserted a lot of noise onto the phone line.

0 Likes