Slow DSL upload speeds and lots of discard out packets
mlaferriere
Enthusiast - Level 1

About two to three weeks ago my DSL started getting slow. The upload speeds used to be just over 700K and now I am lucky if I get around 100K. The upload speeds are very intermittent and sometimes barely functional. I did try bypassing the router and plugging a laptop diretly into the modem which made no difference. I also went one step further and plugged the router directly into the telco box (customer side) after disconnecting the wires leading into the house. This also made no difference.

About a year ago Verizon did rewire the house to the pole and unfortunately left the wire drooped over the eave of my new roof. It is possible the wire has become frayed. I'd rather this than have my new roof start leaking.

Please be advised this is also using an old Westell 2200 modem from Verizon.

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254     
Vendor ID Code:        4          
Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode          
Data Path:               Interleaved          
Transceiver Information     Down Stream Path     Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     3360     864
Margin (db)     24.5     12.0
Line Attenuation (db)     14.0     18.5
Transmit Power (db/Hz)     13.0     11.0

Packet Information PVC1

VPI / VCI            0/35
In Errors            0
In Discard Packets        0
In Non Unicast Packets    0
In Unicast Packets        44778
In Octets            87092414

Out Errors            0
Out Discard Packets        639
Out Non Unicast Packets    1
Out Unicast Packets        37897
Out Octets            11896755

MTU                1540
Interface Type            1
Interface Description        PPP CONNECTION

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL upload speeds and lots of discard out packets on two modems
mlaferriere
Enthusiast - Level 1

The second Verizon tech sent out a new modem (Actiontec GT784WNV) which seemed to give an even slower and more intermittent upload than my old Westell 2200.

So, two modems, and both tried plugged into the NID after removing the connection for the house wiring, why is Verizon still telling me I need to refresh my computer when I explained what I have done and also explained that this is affecting multiple devices?

I find it hard to believe than a Nintendo DS, two Xbox 360's, an itouch, an Aspire Aspire and a desktop can all be affected by an undetectable virus at the same time..

Does anyone at Verizon monitor these forums?

0 Likes
jmatawwcl1985

No they don't. Verizon doesn't give a crap about their customers. I was promised a refund to a mistake THEY made Wednesday and was told to wait 2-5 days. Well, out of concern since their braindead customer service has blatantly lied to me before, I checked the "status" of my refund. No refund status found. 

I seriously hate Verizon as a company and their borderline retaded customer service. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is the connection latency while the connection is idle? Do you have any packet loss, despite the low upstream speed?

I can get you to someone who can help fix the service up, since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong physically with the line. You are likely seeing the results of a bad circuit or some piece of equipment.

mlaferriere
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't seem to get too many dropped packets but they do take forever to get out. Often times websites, Xbox live, the Nintendo networks etc. will time out though before anything gets back. It seems to be getting worse as it literally took around four minutes for me to sign into this forum. Would a DSLReports speedtest be useful? The Verizon speedtest times out before starting.

Thank you.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

DSLReports Speed tests are perfectly valid tests. If you can get an NDT test to run from http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ that would be awesome, too. Anyways, check your PMs.

0 Likes