Slow Internet Please Help "Westell 7500"
Ben121

So for the past few days I have been dealing with a slow internet connection.  I called into verizon and they sent 2 tech people out to my house and basicaly said everything was fine.  Although they did pretend they solved a problem.  When they tested my modem they said I was getting the correct amout in. (3.6 down/.8 up)  But when you try and get on a computer or my xbox and speed test it, it goes to about http://www.speedtest.net/result/2277792647.png  about .3/.1.  The tech people did not help at all and I asked that they look at the modem page but they refused.  

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver RevisionA2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3359863
Margin (dB)30.419.0
Line Attenuation (dB)3.52.1
Transmit Power (dBm)0.012.8

There are the transceiver stats.  I have tried many different things and nothing works please help.

0 Likes
Re: Slow Internet Please Help "Westell 7500"
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you could, please find a website that is running slow and run a traceroute to it, then paste up the results. If you're near Maryland, there might be that common regional issue that has been announced in some thread in this forum recently, or it could be something storm-related especially if you're going through New York City as the providers there work to clean up the mess.

If you need help running a traceroute and are unable to find out how, just tell us what operating system you run, whether Windows or OS X.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you are wireless, then you are probably hitting wireless interference.   You should explore the router pages and change the wifi channels (use 1, 6 and 11)

Your line speeds are good, so you will want to test at http://speedtest.verizon.net and do it while hardwired, and also while wireless and post the results of those tests.  

0 Likes
Ben121

Alright I just spend over an hour on the phone with verizon.  It was very uneventful untill he had me reboot my computer in safemode.  Then the wierdist thing happened.  It would not allow me to connect to the Internet in safemode.  He told me that this means my computer has a virus that messing with the connection.  But he also said that unplugging my computer would not do anything.  Really? As he said unplugging it didn't do anything.  What do you guys think? And what would be an easy way to check this and fix it without buying a new computer or sending mine in?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's two safe mode options. One that loads networking and one that does not. He may have had you load into the one without Networking support which won't get you anywhere. If you'd like, boot into Safe Mode with Networking after you press F8 before Windows starts to load. See if it works from there.

A test to rule out whether or not it is also the computer would be to unplug the computer itself from the router and use another device (or perhaps the Xbox) to gauge the speed. I believe that has already been established however 🙂

0 Likes
Ben121

ahhh. OK so he didn't have me boot up with network.  That means with network on I can acess the Internet in safe mode. And when i turn off the computer it still has slow internet throughout the house.  So Im not sure what is going on considering the modem is getting the correct speed.  Any more advice? Does this mean there is no virus on my computer? The pattern of speed is strange.  Right now I have 1.4 which is the highest I have had in weeks, but early i only had .1.  How do I copy the info out of the command promt for trace route?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ben12 wrote:

How do I copy the info out of the command promt for trace route?

After you get the route to show on your screen:

#1 Right click.

#2 From the options, you would use Select All

#3 Press the CTRL and C key(s) at the same time on your computer keyboard.

#4 Then to paste the output into the message: You use CTRL+V (The CTRL and the V key at the same time).

--

#2 If you did not want to select all, then from the options you would select Mark

#3 Highlight what you want copied.

#4 Right click once.

#5 Then paste the output into the message.