Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games
xxbplxx

I have DSL and I experience pretty slow downloads and uploads. When downloading from any server, I am lucky if I reach 90 kb/sec. It's not just one server, it's everywhere I download from and 90 kb/sec is the absolute max I've seen. Upload is significantly less, with about 20-30 kb/sec. I've replaced my router and the issue is the same. I did a speed test on verizon.net:

596 kb/sec down

139 kb/sec up

Speedtest.net results:

732 kb/sec down

130 kb/sec up

Now I know I'm not gonna DL at that rate, but I'd still like more than what I'm getting, I don't know why my rate is significantly less than these test speeds. I am using a LinkSys Wireless-G router and my modem is a Westell Wirespeed(model: A90-210015-04).

I don't know if these are related, but while playing multiplayer games(mainly FPSs) I often receive lag spikes that last anywhere from 10-60 seconds. I can understand if someone is using my network and taking up bandwidth; however these spikes occur quite randomly and are often during times in which I am the only on my network. I don't notice any unnecessary processes running as I attempt to close them all out before I play. This happened with my old router as well as my new one. I don't use the wireless portion for my gaming PC; I play off of the cable. If anyone has any suggestions for either situation, I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Post your modem stats so I can see if something is wrong with your line.
0 Likes
Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games
xxbplxx
I am a bit new to these forums. How exactly would I post my modem stats? i.e. Where would I find them?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Type the following from your browser and post stats. 192.168.1.1/transtat.htm
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 09-04-2008 01:31 AM
0 Likes
xxbplxx
Typing that doesn't bring up anything for me. I get the same error as if I typed a wrong IP address. I connected my modem straight to my PC too (modified the connections so it would recognize the PPPoE and work) and tried again, same result.
Message Edited by xxbplxx on 09-03-2008 11:05 PM
0 Likes
xxbplxx
So nothing can be done for me because that link you provided me does not work when I type it in my browser?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You need to find where in your modem the stats are. Can you log into your modem from 192.168.1.1?
0 Likes
xxbplxx
I'm at work now so I can't check at the current moment.I think i attempted to log in from 192.168.1.1 but I do not remember. Will I have to disconnect my router and simply connect straight to my modem? If 192.168.1.1 does not work, are there other suggestions?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
What requirements do the games you play need?
0 Likes
xxbplxx
I don't quite understand the question. It happens with just about all games I play multiplayer, whether it be a first-person shooter(like Call of Duty 4) or a racing game (like TrackMania Nations Forever). The former is rather high-end game that requires much use of my graphics card and processor. The latter is more of a low-end game and still gives me lag spikes every now and then. And with the speed test results I gave, is a max DL speed of 90 kb/sec(on extremely good days) comparable to that? I don't expect T3 speeds but downloading files at a usual speed of 70 kb/sec isn't overly fun .Thanks.
0 Likes