Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games
xxbplxx
I connected directly to my modem(bypassing my router) and I still cannot log into 192.168.1.1. I can log into my router fine when it is plugged in, but that probably doesn't help any. Any other suggestions?
0 Likes
Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games
xxbplxx
Is there any other test I can do? The latency spikes are getting more frequenty and are lasting longer in duration now. There is no rhyme or reason for them and my sub-par download speeds.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I looked a little further into the serial number of your modem and it is a Westell 2110 made for Verizon. It is not addressable. It is a just a dumb modem. You might have to call Verizon to send out a tech if you keep having trouble.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 09-12-2008 08:00 AM
0 Likes
xxbplxx
Of course I get the modem that you can't check anything on. Go figure. I will attempt to call Verizon and see if I can get anything out of them. But knowing them, they'll tell me my line is fine and that since my DL speed test is fine, that there's nothing they can do. Are my download speeds unusually low? I'm paying for 768 kb/sec download(I know I'll never see this rate), but to barely get 90 kb/sec? That's not even 1/8 of the speed. What is typical download speeds? 1/6? 1/4? 1/2?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Right now your download is correct. You should get no higher then 92 on a 768k.
0 Likes
xxbplxx
Why? How can I pay for 768 kb/sec download speed and only actually get 92 kb/sec? That is one large discrepancy. Man I can't wait for my area to get Fios. Is there a DSL that is greater than 768 kb/sec?
0 Likes
KK

@xxbplxx wrote:
Why? How can I pay for 768 kb/sec download speed and only actually get 92 kb/sec? That is one large discrepancy. Man I can't wait for my area to get Fios. Is there a DSL that is greater than 768 kb/sec?

I think you're confusing kilobits with kilobytes.  You're paying for 768 kilobits/sec, which is not too far off your 92 kilobytes/sec.  

More details

0 Likes
xxbplxx

Well I feel dumb. Yea you're right. Geez, DSL isn't even .1 mb/sec DL? That's weak. But I do appreciate the input on my stupidity.

Now, any suggestions on the latency spikes? 🙂 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Yes Verizon offers higher speed DSL service depending on your distance from the Central Office. They have 1.5Mb and 3.0Mb service if you qualify but they cost more money.
0 Likes
xxbplxx
 I don't think I qualify. I recall entering my phone number and nothing about a 1.5 Mb or 3.0 Mb service ever appeared for me.
0 Likes