Switch Account

Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games

Message 1 of 22
(9,990 Views)

I have DSL and I experience pretty slow downloads and uploads. When downloading from any server, I am lucky if I reach 90 kb/sec. It's not just one server, it's everywhere I download from and 90 kb/sec is the absolute max I've seen. Upload is significantly less, with about 20-30 kb/sec. I've replaced my router and the issue is the same. I did a speed test on verizon.net:

596 kb/sec down

139 kb/sec up

Speedtest.net results:

732 kb/sec down

130 kb/sec up

Now I know I'm not gonna DL at that rate, but I'd still like more than what I'm getting, I don't know why my rate is significantly less than these test speeds. I am using a LinkSys Wireless-G router and my modem is a Westell Wirespeed(model: A90-210015-04).

I don't know if these are related, but while playing multiplayer games(mainly FPSs) I often receive lag spikes that last anywhere from 10-60 seconds. I can understand if someone is using my network and taking up bandwidth; however these spikes occur quite randomly and are often during times in which I am the only on my network. I don't notice any unnecessary processes running as I attempt to close them all out before I play. This happened with my old router as well as my new one. I don't use the wireless portion for my gaming PC; I play off of the cable. If anyone has any suggestions for either situation, I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games

Message 2 of 22
(9,958 Views)
Post your modem stats so I can see if something is wrong with your line.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Slow download/upload speeds & latency spikes while playing multiplayer games

Message 3 of 22
(9,953 Views)
I am a bit new to these forums. How exactly would I post my modem stats? i.e. Where would I find them?
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 22
(9,923 Views)
Type the following from your browser and post stats. 192.168.1.1/transtat.htm
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 09-04-2008 01:31 AM
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 22
(9,915 Views)
Typing that doesn't bring up anything for me. I get the same error as if I typed a wrong IP address. I connected my modem straight to my PC too (modified the connections so it would recognize the PPPoE and work) and tried again, same result.
Message Edited by xxbplxx on 09-03-2008 11:05 PM
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 22
(9,833 Views)
So nothing can be done for me because that link you provided me does not work when I type it in my browser?
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 7 of 22
(9,831 Views)
You need to find where in your modem the stats are. Can you log into your modem from 192.168.1.1?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 8 of 22
(9,827 Views)
I'm at work now so I can't check at the current moment.I think i attempted to log in from 192.168.1.1 but I do not remember. Will I have to disconnect my router and simply connect straight to my modem? If 192.168.1.1 does not work, are there other suggestions?
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 9 of 22
(9,824 Views)
What requirements do the games you play need?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 10 of 22
(9,822 Views)
I don't quite understand the question. It happens with just about all games I play multiplayer, whether it be a first-person shooter(like Call of Duty 4) or a racing game (like TrackMania Nations Forever). The former is rather high-end game that requires much use of my graphics card and processor. The latter is more of a low-end game and still gives me lag spikes every now and then. And with the speed test results I gave, is a max DL speed of 90 kb/sec(on extremely good days) comparable to that? I don't expect T3 speeds but downloading files at a usual speed of 70 kb/sec isn't overly fun .Thanks.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.