Slow internet speed - terrible service
HeleneB

For the last 5 weeks I have been plagued with very slow internet speed. I have spent at least 4 hours on the phone with verizon techs. They always say that they will call back and never do. This is absolutely the worst service imaginable.

0 Likes
Re: Slow internet speed - terrible service
Rich_Pollock
Enthusiast - Level 1

What have your speeds tested at? Just curious. We had TWC and the speeds I am witnessing here are almost identical to TWC. Those commercials you see do not tell you that if you want high speed you gotta shell out coin to do it.

Our speed usually tests at around 3.5 mbps.  I saw the same speed when we had TWC.

Our speeds should be higher though. Closer to 7.

Do you still have issues?

Rich

0 Likes
ariesgirl217

I'm having the same problem. 4 times this month I've had to call for support.  The central office does something to increase my speed, and it lasts a week or so, then I"m back to a third of the speed I should be getting.  I think they stopped caring about dsl customers.  I'm waiting for the end of my contract so I can switch to Cable. 

0 Likes
Silas3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly my experience. A whiz-bang tech souped us up to close to the 3.00 I expect to get -- 2.89 -- and it laster two weeks. This morning it tested at 1.02. I hope someone from Verizon is monitoring so they know how frustrated this makes me. About to cancel my account with them.

0 Likes
grm31

Same problem here.  When (not if) my speed drops, I call support and they can usually get it back around the full 3 Mbps.  But then over the course of a week or two it gradually drops back down to half the speed.

I've had a tech out to my house, and he found no issues.  Verizon sent a new modem, but that didn't help either. 

Why won't they just admit that they purposely drop the connection speed?

0 Likes
mwilk19

Sounds like they're throttling.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes