Some web site URLs not resolving -- DNS?
steven102

A few web sites are not resolving for me, such as www.japansugoi.com. Using Firefox, I get an error message "Server not found." I can access it through my mobile phone browser so I know the site is working.

My recollection from a similar experience long ago is that this can have something to do with DNS. I am running Windows XP, and under the TCP/IP settings it is set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically."

My question is, should I enter specific DNS server addresses and, if so, what are they?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Some web site URLs not resolving -- DNS?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

And of course now it's coming up fine. Maybe a temporary issue with the page access. If you are still unable to hit the page via your computer, try pinging it via the command prompt. If the URL resolves to an IP address, then it's *probably* not a DNS issue.

You can also try navigating directly to the IP address from your browser. (When I pinged it, it resolved to 216.98.148.23)

If you think it's a DNS issue, you might try changing your DNS servers to something different. I've heard suggested that OpenDNS is a good way to go, but haven't tried it personally. I have occasionally set 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 as my alternate DNS server when I'm having trouble. If you need assistance in how to change these settings let me know. (Tech support *should* be able to walk you through it, but I certainly can't make any promises.)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I am not able to get to www.japansugoi.com from any connection. I can't even ping it. Are you sure this is the correct URL?

0 Likes
steven102

Yes, that is the site. It is a popular Japanese culture site. It can also be found on Google. It does come up in my iPhone browser.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

And of course now it's coming up fine. Maybe a temporary issue with the page access. If you are still unable to hit the page via your computer, try pinging it via the command prompt. If the URL resolves to an IP address, then it's *probably* not a DNS issue.

You can also try navigating directly to the IP address from your browser. (When I pinged it, it resolved to 216.98.148.23)

If you think it's a DNS issue, you might try changing your DNS servers to something different. I've heard suggested that OpenDNS is a good way to go, but haven't tried it personally. I have occasionally set 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 as my alternate DNS server when I'm having trouble. If you need assistance in how to change these settings let me know. (Tech support *should* be able to walk you through it, but I certainly can't make any promises.)

0 Likes
steven102

Ping did not get a response, so I changed the DNS servers to the OpenDNS ones:

And now it works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Glad you got it fixed!

0 Likes