Someone is using my wifi
Benjie25
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been at the Verizon Networks Status site for my DSL service and I see a device I don't recognize.

View Device Details and Delete Device are both no help.

View does not give any real information about the device.

Delete Device does nothing. I've tried repeatedly to delete the device but nothing happens. When i go back to the My Network Screen the device is still listed.

I know someone is using the wifi because my PC is wired and the wifi devices in the apartment are all turned off. The device I don't recognize is listed as being online with a wireless connection, an IP address different from mine and a MAC address.

What is the next step in getting rid of this device?

Thanks,

Benjie25

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Someone is using my wifi
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The best way to ensure your Wi-Fi is secure, is to ensure only WPA2 - AES (CCMP) Encryption is enabled. Using anything else, such as WEP, "No Security", WPA, or WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode, or WPA/WPA2 TKIP, are insecure. WEP is the most vulnerable and can be cracked in seconds, with WPA and WPA2 being vulnerable to attack which reveals your key. Ensure your network ONLY uses WPA2 - AES, as this is the most secure, and has the added benefit of higher Wi-FI performance when using Wireless N and Wireless AC.

Also, ensure that your router's WPS Mode and "Router PIN" are disabled. There are tools out there to brute force these keys, and most routers don't implement safeguards against brute force. You should only use a Passcode to authenticate to your network.

Lastly, change your router's passcode from the default set by the router if it's a Verizon supplied router. Many of the routers come with passcodes that while may be secure on paper, generators exist which allow for generating keys based upon a calculation of your router's MAC Address and network name. Set the key to something you might remember, but something unique. You'll have to update the passcode on each device you want connected to your Wi-FI network

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The best way to ensure your Wi-Fi is secure, is to ensure only WPA2 - AES (CCMP) Encryption is enabled. Using anything else, such as WEP, "No Security", WPA, or WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode, or WPA/WPA2 TKIP, are insecure. WEP is the most vulnerable and can be cracked in seconds, with WPA and WPA2 being vulnerable to attack which reveals your key. Ensure your network ONLY uses WPA2 - AES, as this is the most secure, and has the added benefit of higher Wi-FI performance when using Wireless N and Wireless AC.

Also, ensure that your router's WPS Mode and "Router PIN" are disabled. There are tools out there to brute force these keys, and most routers don't implement safeguards against brute force. You should only use a Passcode to authenticate to your network.

Lastly, change your router's passcode from the default set by the router if it's a Verizon supplied router. Many of the routers come with passcodes that while may be secure on paper, generators exist which allow for generating keys based upon a calculation of your router's MAC Address and network name. Set the key to something you might remember, but something unique. You'll have to update the passcode on each device you want connected to your Wi-FI network

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Benjie25
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the information. I will have to get a new modem router. I'm using the one I got in 2008 from Verizon (Westell Model 7500) and the only security option is WEP. I'll have to check to see if WPS Mode and "Router PIN" are disabled. I'm on non-broadcast and I changed the name and passcode when I set up the modem but I guess that's not enough.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Westell 7500 supports WPA2. Check under the Advanced Wi-Fi settings, rather than the Basic Setup section.

0 Likes