Speed Super Slow - Lo Speed DSL
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the last couple of weeks I've notice degradation in my Hi-Speed DSL connection. The posted speed in my Gateway's (Westell 7500) is 1792 Kbps / 448 Kbps Speed(Down/Up). This copied directly from the Gateway Status page.

Previously the download "tested speed" had been around 1.5 Mb/s download and .38 Mb/s upload on average. However for the past few weeks it appears to get worse & worse. This weekend I've tested it at various times, 6 AM, midday, afternoon, etc. and it's always around .34 Mb/s download and up load has stayed the same as always. Here a snapshot of the resultes from speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/651831705.png

I've tried resettting the modem multiple times, turning it on & off, selecting the option from the modem to Reboot the Gateway, which caused a complete re-install/connection/verification of my connection.

No doubt this is not a small decrease from actual 1.5 to .34, it's a 77% drop in bandwidth speed.

The PC is ethernet direct connected to the Gateway and is the only device connected at the time of tests. There are no programs or open browser windows. Another  obvious note is that when I turn on my Xbox 360 (also hard wired connected)and the PC is turned completely off, it takes 1-2 minutes for streaming contect to show up and it stops in the middle to reload more streaming content because it can't do it in a continous way as it did before. This exemplifies that it's not something with the PC since the same slow speed is experienced with the Xbox 360.

Steaming video through the PC before was smooth, now it's virutally impossible due to constant lags in the video while it buffers.

Is Verizon looking into this, because I noticed several posts about speed - do I need to contact Veriizon or are they aware of this bandwidth issue and doing something about it. If so, what is being done?

0 Likes
Re: Speed Super Slow - Lo Speed DSL
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just ran this test from the Verizon site and the download speed is even worse.

We have finished your connection speed test.

Your download
speed is:
158 Kbps

Your upload
speed is:
481 Kbps

0 Likes
smorkler

>Is Verizon looking into this, because I noticed several posts about speed - do I need to contact Veriizon or are they aware of >this bandwidth issue and doing something about it. If so, what is being done?

The only thing Verizon is looking into is how to get you off DSL and onto FIOS.  Their strategy it appears is to slowly (or not so slowly),  choke down DSL speeds untile we can't stand it anymore, and switch over.

Can I prove this? No.

Would it surprise anyone?  I doubt it.

But why is everyone complaining about the same thing for this service that used to be advetised as the cream of the crop for  fast downloads.

My question is;  what recourse do we as consumers have if that is indeed the strategy Verizon has instituted?

It stinks!!

0 Likes
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I certainly hope that Verizon looks into this - this morning at 5 AM when hardly anyone was on, my download speed was 110 Mb/s and my upload speed was 437 Mb/s. The east coast is not up yet and by upload is faster than my download by 3 times.

That is incredible! I can see that the QOS of the download is about 10%, while the QOS of the upload is about 90%. Maybe it's the Westell 7500 Gateway. Even tried unplugging all cables and replugging to ensure a better connection, however nothing makes a difference.

It is very frustrating indeed!!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Try running a trace route. It may show where the problem is and give us an idea of what we are looking at.

Open a command prompt. 

type    "tracert www.verizon.net"  (without the quotes of course)

and then post the results. that will give us an idea if there are any bad hops between you and the internet.

0 Likes
Zixxer

Any resolution for you?

0 Likes
jimmymustang

Same with mine.. started about the same time... live in Southern Illinois....   I'm on my 2nd 7500 modem and it still reports 3+meg down/800 up.... speednet.net  ranges anywhere from 800k - 2.6m down most of the time hovering around 1.6...   just spent an hour on the phone with some guy from India.. for the 2nd time doing everything the first guy did...

Why don't they understand that I have 3 computers plus an Ipod touch that ALL get the same LOW speeds... the problem is not with windows!!!!!.. if the modem is indeed processing 3meg down.. then something is wrong in the transmission from modem to computer... I would think something with modulation/de-modulation... maybe???

I get same speeds no matter if on wire or wireless...

I've reset everything probably about 30 times now.

I've checked it with 3 different phone cords.

Level 3 tech is supposed to call back tonight?? weird.. we'll see.

I WILL BE ASKING FOR REPAIRATIONS.. I'm not paying for 1.6 meg down..

0 Likes