Speed drop upper west side Manhattan with longer pings and weaker margin
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Tremendous drop in DSL service the last eight weeks.  I'm on the lower upper West side of Manhattan, at Central Park West in the high 60s, zip code 10023.  FWIW, I was told years ago that I have a short connection to the CO. 

I used to get 2.7Mbps download speed consistently, pings of less than 10ms to the CO (per tracert) and 19 ms to nearby test servers, 18 - 20 db down stream margin and attenuation in the low 20s.  Now it's all half as good:  download constantly at 1.5 Mbps + / -, pings of 20 ms to the CO and 33 - 50 ms to nearby test servers, 10 - 12 db down stream margin and attenuation at 31.  My modem is a Westell 7500.

Vz network engineers want me to try a new router (D-Links 2750-B) , but I just don't think that's going to help.

Anyone else have similar problems?

0 Likes
Re: Speed drop upper west side Manhattan with longer pings and weaker margin
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Re: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27330027-Speed-drop-upper-w-side-Manhattan-longer-pings-lower-margi... and http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27333871-Can-D-Link-DSL-2750B-show-transceiver-statistics-

If possible, see if the D-Link modem will show error counts such as CRC Errors, HEC errors and FEC errors. These may also clue into what is going on.

If your line is running at 1.5Mbps/384kbps solid and not bursting to a higher speed for a few seconds and reducing, I wonder if your circuit wound up misprovisioned in the edge router or PVC. It's a two part provisioning process where the speed on the DSLAM and the edge router/PVC must match for you to get what you're supposed to get.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Smith - This is a copy of my Reply to a Vz employee on my related service ticket:

A______:  Thanks for your replies.  I am working directly with a Verizon tech, and we are making some progress, but only as regards the link between my CO and me.  We're not done yet.

However,  Verizon's network infrastructure in the other direction -- from the the CO into the internet -- is now heavily congested.  My CO (and the master circuits to which it links) might not have enough capacity on the internet side to handle all the internet traffic it is re-directing to individual residential customers like myself.  That must be because Vz is not investing enough in my neighborhood CO, which is in a densely populated central urban neighborhood.  It is also because Fios customers are utilizing more of Vz's existing internet capacity at my CO, and we DSL customers are not being protected.  (And, ironically, Fios is not yet available at my building, so Vz can't push me into Fios even if we both wanted it.)

Here's one symptom:  Even when I am getting a low Ping and decent download speeds from any speed-test server that's in my city, the download speeds from other test servers across the country are at only half my rated download speed.  That was NOT the case as recently as six months ago.  In doing speed tests from more distant servers six months ago, only the Ping would be longer, but with no diminution in download speed.  There is clear evidence of choking newly imposed.  Vz is not supplying what I'm paying for.

Comment?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

My comments? Don't have much. Just have to say "Typical." I've seen some pretty odd things happen with the DSL network as well as of late but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised. Usually the trunk lines going from the COs to the backbone are not overloaded as Verizon has a responsibility to maintain SLAs. No amount of QoS is going to fix an overloaded trunk unless you slow everything down in the process that isn't a 100% guarantee SLA. QoS is also going to result in problems as well (where's my FIFO Buffer?) but as it's been found, often DSL starts to degrade quickly once a CO begins to serve FiOS, coincidence or not.

To be honest though without seeing more diagnostic info than what you've presented both here and at DSLReports it's tough to say where the problem is. It takes info from Verizon's end and the server end to figure this one out as nothing stands out from your end. My understanding is they even changed the line card or DSLAM you're on as well?

0 Likes