Speed issue....
Anthonyde

Westell 6100F

Three different machines, XP laptop, XP desktop and Mac, connected directly to the westell modem.

I have had DSL for about 4 weeks. Its been fine, no issues. On Friday we started to have what seemed like a massive slowdown. A web page could take many minutes to hours to come up, with no timeouts... Mostly I will get the page title show up in the browser title bar, and in the case of mostly text or text only web sites, like googles home page, I will get most of the page, and the image will load very slowly, over many minutes. As of this morning it is status quo.

http://192.168.1.1 main page shows speed as 2450 down/ 398 up. Slightly slower than it should be. Modem status is ready. DSL light is steady green, data and internet lights are flashing.

Tech support had me make many changes to the modem, all to no avail. Three different computers connected to the modem and still the same results. Their line test shows that the line is fine, and that my modem is responding. I ran some pings at a cmd prompt to yahoo.com and google.com  and I get no packet loss, good response times. Three calls over 45 minutes each to tech support and I still do not have a working internet.

Last call on Saturday night and I was told that the issue was being escalated, and that I would get a call back on Sunday night from a local CO person. That has not happened. 

My question is, how can I resolve this? If not a speed issue, then what is it? Congestion? Bad card at the CO? How do I get technical support to get off my pc as the issue and on to an issue on the copper somewhere?

0 Likes
Re: Speed issue....
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 How many computers do you have behind this router?

#2 What software firewall is on this (or these) computer(s)?

#3 You did turn off UPnP in the router?
0 Likes
Anthonyde

Hi and thanks for responding!

To answer your questions:

#1 At the moment only one computer hooked up directly to the modem

#2 None. Even AV is turned off

#3 No. I have not touched UPnP

0 Likes
ckalbach

Hi all,

I'm noticing the same symptoms.  Friday afternoon I got intermittent DSL connections.  Sometimes the connection would be available and at normal speeds and shortly thereafter the router would report failures linking to Verizon's serves.  I've had very intermittent connections all weekend.

I'm in Redondo Beach, CA and have had Verizon DSL for eight years.  They've been mostly reliable.  This is the first issue I've noticed with them in the past two years or so.   Hope they get it resolved soon.

0 Likes
UPDATE: Speed issue....
Anthonyde

Went home to check on the connection. I am now able to get to most web pages. More graphically intense pages are still not loading properly, but most other pages load with only some latency.

It was raining here Friday and Saturday (eastern pa), and was clear Sunday and today.  Still no word from Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: UPDATE: Speed issue....
deez40
I'm reading these messages and I am experiencing similar problems. We had our service suspended for the winter while we were down south. We supposedly reactivated before our return but when we returned Friday I could get on the internet intermittantly. Saturday at 5:30 am I was able to get on but only after I went through what seemed to be a total reloading of my software. Friday on one of my time online I was on the phone with tech support. He tried many things although I don'think he had any idea what was wrong. (I find this very common with tech support.) Saturday I had a live body here testing the modem, the wiring in the house, changing the wiring coming into the house, trying two other modems. Its now Monday and this is the first time I have been able to be online for any length of time. This has got to be a system wide problem. I'm going to be looking into another provider.
0 Likes
UPDATE: Speed issue....
Anthonyde

I have been able to access the internet for two days now without problems. No Idea what caused it, no reponse from Verizon until last night, three days later, when I got a call from tech support to tell me that my ticket was now being closed, however no explanation of what may have been wrong.

I have cable scheduled to install internet on Saturday. I will have to take the hit on my package price and drop DSL, it simply does not measure up in either experience or support. We are heavy internet users and not having it for two - three days without explanation or cause is unacceptable.

0 Likes