Speed issues - Irving, TX - Westell 327W
BigCalhoun

OK, as a last resort, I'm going to give these forums a try cause I've been searching the web for months, calling for repair to check the line, complaining, and I can't get it figured out. I'm about one month away from saying to heck with it and adding to Vz's lineloss.

Setup: New Fujitsu laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. One year old Toshiba running Windows XP w/ SP2. Wifi (Channel 11, 802.11b)

Modem: Westell 327W (1.5m Plan)

Software Version: VER:4.04.03.00 Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0 Model Name: D90-327W15-06Broadband Connection Type: Bridge Active Status: 00:00:00 Configuration: 096-900125-02 A

Problem:

The primary issue is speed. I know I won't download at the full 1.5mbps, but 200kbps is hardly acceptable. If I do a speed test, it does say the download is 1.5mbps, however, my firewall shows the actual speed the computer is receiving at is around 170-200kbps. I thought it was my machine and reimaged everything, same problem. My nieghbor let me run some tests on their cable connection: speed tests show I was downloading at 2.0mbps and my firewall also recorded 2.0mbps. If I watch movies online with DSL, they're constantly buffering. If I watch them with my nieghbors cable, everything is smooth. I can't figure it out. Anyone have any insight to this cause I'm just about done. Called repair, line is fine. I can't count how many times I've rebooted the modem. Talked to DSL support and they show everything is fine. However, on my end, all is not fine and there is a definite issue.

0 Likes
Re: Speed issues - Irving, TX - Westell 327W
lanbldr

When Verizon started offering DSL from my CO, I was amoung the first to sign up and was consistently getting the plan's 3Mb/s.  Three months later they've oversubscribed the CO so badly I can't get over 700K except in the middle of the night.  If they've oversubscribed your CO, then the link from your CO to the next hop can't handle all the traffic and everyone slows down.  Verizon is unlikely to address this type of issue.  I ended up downgrading so at least I'm not paying for speed I can't get.  Don't let them sell you a faster plan; if they can't deliver your plan's advertised speed then they can't deliver faster either.

Check your speed at different times of the day to see if it's a traffic congestion problem.  If it's fast at 5:00 a.m and slow at 9:00 pm then you're screwed.

0 Likes
Markondude

Yea, same here.

I was sold on the 3 meg speed bout year ago. your actual throughput is about 286kbps when downloading a file but thats very good for a 3 meg connection.

I only get 1.5 meg on a speed test from speedtest.net but supposed to get 3 megs.My thoughput is around 168k downloading a file which is ok. I worked endlessly with support to get me reprovisioned but they just say they cant do it. I have been trying to change the bill to reflect 1.5 service but they say i have to pay for 3 meg due to only other service offered is 768k plan. Verizon has lots of growing pains due to them over selling their backbone to enterprise large scale businesses that use lots of bandwidth. Oh well.

good luck

0 Likes
BigCalhoun

Well, I've found a fix to my problem...I'm jumping ship to cable tomorrow. I've tried to be reasonable and pursue a fix, I don't know how many times I've added my name and encourged others in my complex to add their names to the notification list for FiOS. I'm done. It'll save me a little over $15 a month to go with their triple play. The cable company has come a long way since the early days of VoIP so I'm going to see how it goes and if it doesn't work out, I'll just have to find yet another provider.

Good luck to you guys!!

0 Likes