Still issues with my dsl connection
zakzebrowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

I'm still having issues with my dsl connection.  With the new modem, it re-connects faster than the old modem I had, but I'm still getting ppp drops from verizon.  When this happens, the diagnostic messages are as follows from the new router I have (a zmodem that I picked up at office depot):

Testing Connectivity to modem

Testing Ethernet connection: PASS

Testing ADSL line for sync: PASS

Testing Ethernet connection to ATM: PASS

Testing Telco Connectivity

Testing ATM OAM segment ping: PASS

Testing ATM OAM end to end ping: PASS

Testing ISP Connectivity

Testing PPPoE server connectivity: FAIL

Testing PPPoE server session: SKIP

Testing authentication with server: SKIP

Validating assigned IP address 70.108.xxx.xxx: SKIP

Testing Internet Connectivity

Ping default gateway 10.1.38.1 : FAIL

Ping Primary Domain Name Server: FAIL

Query DNS for www.zoom.com: FAIL

Ping www.zoom.com :FAIL

I can check emails, but now I can't download videos, as the connection drops too often.

Please advise the best way to proceed with verizon support.  At this point I'm "this" close to dropping dsl & phone line all together and going with a mobile broadband solution instead, which I would leave always on.

Thanks for the advice.

Zak

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Still issues with my dsl connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the modem is pointing out, it is communicating with the network back at the CO, as it is passing the ATM tests. The problem is obviously when it tries to talk to the PPPoE server. That's something for Verizon to fix if the physical connection is passing. You can try the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports if you haven't done so yet, or when Verizon employees see this topic, e-mail them with the addresses they provide.

I would give you a heads up, a Mobile solution would probably have you cut back on Internet usage. Unless you're using a smaller company, most mobile companies out there have capping and/or hefty throttling policies for using a specific amount of data. They aren't meant to be used for replacing wireline connections, really only for mobile use when not at home or a place with Wi-Fi.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the modem is pointing out, it is communicating with the network back at the CO, as it is passing the ATM tests. The problem is obviously when it tries to talk to the PPPoE server. That's something for Verizon to fix if the physical connection is passing. You can try the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports if you haven't done so yet, or when Verizon employees see this topic, e-mail them with the addresses they provide.

I would give you a heads up, a Mobile solution would probably have you cut back on Internet usage. Unless you're using a smaller company, most mobile companies out there have capping and/or hefty throttling policies for using a specific amount of data. They aren't meant to be used for replacing wireline connections, really only for mobile use when not at home or a place with Wi-Fi.

zakzebrowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info, Smith6612. I posted to the verizon direct forum, and I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the info on the mobile solution, too.  I was unware of those caveats.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a problem. If you need anything else, let us know 🙂