Trouble with bridge mode and port forwarding
paul_j

I have a Westell Model 6100F DSL modem in bridge mode into my network and I'm having trouble forwarding ports. Is there any general guidance available to do this. I have set many of my friends networks up to allow port forwarding but all have been on other service providers, mainly cable. (my experience) My network is the only one I have had trouble with.

Basically, my question is, while in bridge mode, does the modem forward all incoming traffic to my NAT router or do I need to apply special port forwarding settings in the modem to allow this?

If bridge mode is the reason I cannot forward the ports, can someone explain how to set the WEstell 6100F back to factory defaults so I can start over. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with bridge mode and port forwarding
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If bridge mode is set up correctly, your router should be holding the Public IP address (basically not something that is a 192.168 address) as shown at http://www.whatismyip.com/ and compared against what IP your router has.

If your router has the public IP, all problems lie with either your router or your PC's firewall and configuration. I'd check out portforward.com for some guides on forwarding ports for your router or poarticular application if you need some additional help.

0 Likes