Two problems with DSL - Interrealted ???
Allure45

I was recently notified by Google that a differebt ISP logged into my account. They gave me the ISP address and the location which is 30 miles south of my location. I also noticed that often that Google listed this town as my location when I did a search for stores or such. Do I need to take action other than changing my Google Password?

Second problem is that often my DSL will either go very slow, have "Limited" Service, "No internet Access" or be totally disconnected. This happens at least once a day, and lasts from 2 minutes to 2 hours. Sometimes unplugging the wireless modem for 10 seconds SEEMS to help (?).

Thanks for any help ....

Mary

0 Likes
Re: Two problems with DSL - Interrealted ???
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

These two questions suggest to me that your DSL is unstable. Google reported the change in location likely due to the fact that your IP address changed. As Verizon sells DSL service with dynamic IPs, whenever your connection goes down or "Resets" you will most likely receive a brand new IP address. This IP comes form a regional pool, which could have been used by someone 30-some miles away. Many GeoIP services often report me being several towns South of my home when I change it, but will often update within a day or two once services start to discover where I am (through cookies harvested, smartphone apps, etc).

For the DSL performance and reliaiblity, when you are expericing a total outage, what do the lights on the modems look like? When the DSL is slow, and you have your computer doing nothing, are any of the lights still blinking quickly on your modem/router?

0 Likes