Ultimate 10 - 15 Mbps Plan yielding 5.8 Mbps
LouisvilleS
Enthusiast - Level 2

So my father was contacted by Verizon last week and ended up switching from the 3.0 Mbps plan to the "Ultimate" Plan. It was activated on Friday November 12, 2010 according to the e-mail, however when I do a speedtest from http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ I am getting:

Download Speed: 5829 kbps (728.6 KB/sec transfer rate).

Upload Speed: 898 kbps (112.3 KB/sec transfer rate).

Some side information:

When the service was activated my modem light on the Belkin F6D4230-4 v2 kept blinking amber but the Westell A90-220015-04 would work fine when plugged in directly to my computer. I power cycled both the router and the modem, reset the router using a paper clip, swapped out cables, but the amber colored modem light kept blinking on the router. I ran the Belkin CD and switched it from PPPoE to Dynamic and it worked. Not sure why this fixed the issue, but I am now able to use my router with my modem.

Modem: Westell A90-220015-04.

Software Version: VER:01.06.58.

Router: Belkin F6D4230-4 v2.

Firmware: 2.00.04 (Apr 29 2009 14:44:36).

According to http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/526 Version: 2.00.08, OS compatibility: Any, size: 984 KB has been released.

Now this is a good improvement from the 3.0 Mbps plan, however it is still a good 2.18 Mbps to 80% of the minimum 10 Mbps on the Ultimate package.

http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm -- Transceiver Stats:

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254. 

Vendor ID Code: 4.     

Line Mode:  G.DMT-Mode.     

Data Path: Interleaved.

Transceiver Information:

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) -- Down Stream Path: 6880, Up Stream Path: 1088.

Margin (db) -- Down Stream Path: 6.0, Up Stream Path: 12.0.

Line Attenuation (db) -- Down Stream Path: 32.5, Up Stream Path: 18.5.

Transmit Power (db/Hz) -- Down Stream Path: 17.0, Up Stream Path: 11.0.

I ran a line test and it said: "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping."

http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/7c7c594c34b2/2689686

Anything else you guys want me to test out? Did switching from PPPoE to Dymanic have anything to do with the results of my line test? Is there a reason why I am not getting at least 8 Mbps from the 10 - 15 Mbps package? Does Verzion need to do something on their end? Can I do anything else on my end? Do I need a new modem?

I received an e-mail from Verizon on Sun 11/14/2010 6:51 AM:

We have attempted to remotely test your Verizon High Speed Internet service

Unfortunately, we have been unable to test your line successfully. Please call us at 1-800-567-6789 and select 'Tech Support' so we can assist you in completing your installation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Ultimate 10 - 15 Mbps Plan yielding 5.8 Mbps
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Louisville, can you fill out this link https://www22.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/ so we can run some test on your service to see what's the issue.   

0 Likes
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey LouisvilleS, since it works fine when you bypass the modem it sounds like a defective modem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VZ_Ron wrote:

Hey LouisvilleS, since it works fine when you bypass the modem it sounds like a defective modem.

That does not make any sence as is.

#1 Possible correction.

@VZ_Ron wrote:

Hey LouisvilleS, since it works fine when you bypass the RJ-45 WAN router it sounds like a defective RJ-45

Router.

#2 But the OP,  got help from their other thread at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25074059-Ultimate-10-15-Mbps-Plan-yielding-5.8-Mbps

0 Likes
LouisvilleS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe my modem is holding me back from the 10-15 Mbps speeds I should be receiving. My old Westell 2200 is ADSL compatible, but according to my thread over at DSL Reports the 10-15 Mbps package requires ADSL2+ in which case I need a new modem. Can anyone who works for Verizon provide me with a number to call? If there is a number someone can give me to someone who viewed this thread it would make everything a lot easier so I don’t have to explain my situation to numerous people.

I believe I need either the Westell 6100 or 7500 which are both ADSL2+ compatible. My father was assured he didn’t need new hardware when the sales representative called and asked if he would like to upgrade the package from 3.0/768 to 10-15 Mbps.

I received an e-mail last night from Verizon confirming my package upgrade, but I am still only receiving 5.8 Mbps speeds.

Another issue I noticed:

I am going to try and change my router from Dynamic to PPPoE when I get home because the Internet would ONLY work when my Belkin router was configured as “Dynamic” instead of “PPPoE.” I used the same user name and password that I would use to sign in and check e-mail for PPPoE, but the modem light on my Belkin router would blink amber.

0 Likes
LouisvilleS
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I just spoke with Verizon Representative named "Clark" who remoted into my machine via GoToAssist and tried to make it sound since I had multiple computers connected to my router that was the reason I was getting slower speeds. However, all but one machine was powered off and I wasn’t downloading anything so that did not make any sense.

I was then put on hold for 40 minutes while he created a ticket which was sent to the Central Office. I explained to him our modem is outdated and all we needed was a new modem that supported ADSL2+ technology. He told me a technician would be in touch with me tomorrow from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM to see if the modem was the issue. He also mentioned to leave the modem on as the technician would need to run some tests. 

I don't understand why that needed to take 40 minutes, but hopefully I can get some resolution to my issue. 

0 Likes
Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah... VZ Ron doesn't sound like he knows much about networking... no offense of course. Well, how old is the modem, I believe it is common for things to.. die... Hah, I have a picture of my old modem if you want to see what I mean, XD

If you are still having trouble, my friends and I will gladly help you by the book. 

LouisvilleS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think my modem is dead I just think I need an upgrade to either the Westell 6100 or 7500 and the challenge is getting Verizon to replace the Westell 2200.

0 Likes
LouisvilleS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Download Speed: 10041 kbps (1255.1 KB/sec transfer rate).

Upload Speed: 833 kbps (104.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Verizon technician came today and installed a Westell 6100.

Speeds have improved

Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

I thought so!

Last Night, I tried to swap the Verizon Router out for my Belkin Router.

But I did not know exactly the setting needed to receive internet access.

The Belkin router does communicate at 150 Meg with the laptop but I did not know the correct config to turn on Internet. 

Now, with your post I'll be able to configure my Belkin and dump the Verizon Router.

The Verizon router only supports B and G or 54 Megabits per sec.

The Belkin router and my computers wireless modems all support N 150 Mega Bits per second. 

I think that could up my bandwidth.

THANK YOU