Switch Account

Unable to obtain internet access through an unmanaged switch

Unable to obtain internet access through an unmanaged switch

Highlighted
Contributor JunC
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(641 Views)

I connected an unmanage switch to the router but I still do not obtain an IP on any connected device on the switch. Wi-Fi works. Is there a configuration on the router that I need to configure?

2 REPLIES 2
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 3
(610 Views)

@JunC wrote:

I connected an unmanage switch to the router but I still do not obtain an IP on any connected device on the switch. Wi-Fi works. Is there a configuration on the router that I need to configure?

Who is the manufacturer of the switch? Go to their web portal and view their troubleshooting guide. Normally it’s best to place it on the #1 lan port then simply restart your router. Then check and see if it now functions.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 3
(585 Views)

If it's an older switch, check to see if the switch has a port labeled "Uplink." This should connect up to the router.

Newer switches have auto-uplink selection. If the router is working just fine, everything should fall into place.

Also, double check that you're using good Ethernet cables. Some switches / routers don't support Auto MDI/X and can't figure out if you're using a Crossover cable.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.